SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Rose monsters Fall pruning

jacqueline9CA
12 years ago

Whew! I just climbed down from a 15 ft high ladder where I was attacking climbing roses & vines growing up my chimney. First, there is a Cl Mme. Caroline Testout, which has the worst huge thorns I can think of, except for Sombreuil. It is 15 feet high, and about 10 feet wide. Then, it turns out that the Belle Portugaise next to it, growing up the the porch, got "chimney envy" or something, and threw out several 10 ft canes going sideways to grow over the CT. They were intertangled (my DH did the pruning last year, and perhaps he didn't notice they were two different roses...). To add to it all, several years ago some maniac (that would be me) planted a clematis at the bottom of the chimney, and it was growing over both roses. I can never remember all of the confusing rules about how to prune which clematis, so I just left it each year, with predictable results. Then over all three of these things there was an enormous, gorgeous, dark pink annual MORNING GLORY absolutely covered in bloom. I had been waiting for the MG to stop blooming, but it never did, so I just pulled it down yesterday, on a whim, as I was passing. This, of course, resulted in the roses pulling away from some of their supports, and drooping down along with the clematis.

This morning I knew I had to get serious about cleaning this mess up, before we got a storm and the entire thing landed in the driveway. So, up the ladder... Now the morning glory is gone (and I have sworn to pull up any seedlings I see next year), the clematis has been cut back to about 4 feet tall, and I have sort of pruned both of the roses, and re-tied them to their supports - the CT is still over 15 feet tall. Of course, the CT is setting buds, so I left some bits I probably should have cut off. I left all of the growth on the BP except that which was traveling sideways & invading the chimney area, so I didn't touch about 80% of it, and it should still bloom amazingly in the Spring.

I do not recommend this "leave everything alone until it is a total disaster and then attack it" method of rose culture, but it is how I do it. In our mild climate nothing ever seems to stop growing, so trying to keep everything neat and tidy is not something I am up for.

That's only two roses, and we have over 100, although only about 12 of them are monsters. So, the "Fall cleanup" will continue, and I hope to be done by Christmas!

Jackie

Comments (16)