SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzymac_gw

Pruning group 2's as group 3's experiment

suzymac
18 years ago

Quite some time ago there was a heated debate here as to whether all group 2's could be pruned heavily in late winter and treated as group 3's- hard prune types. In warmer climates this is quite successful (it is said by some) but the bloom will be later than usual. I have no experience with warmer zones, just my own.

I was absolutely certain that heavily pruning all my group 2's would NOT leave sufficient time for the plants to form enough hard wood to trigger buds in my cold, coastal zone 6-A. (I had had past experience by accidentally 'pruning' a few group 2's one year and had no flowers from them that year at all). The debate got a bit too heated for good intents and it was difficult to convince certain 'knowledgeable' folks who lived in slightly warmer climates that their rules didn't necessarily apply to ALL zones !

Anyway....I promised then to prove my point yet AGAIN by intentionally pruning several of my beautiful and mature group 2's to 12" at the end of winter, as an experiment and said I would report my findings here.

Two clematis from group 2, (light prune type )were chosen for this experiment. Nelly Moser, a strong grower who is often treated as a group 3 in warmer climates by many and Guernsey Cream, a REAL group 2, in my experience. Both were pruned at the end of March when the snow was still on the ground in places around my property.

Here are the findings as of this date, when summer is beginning to wind down and all my clematis ARE NOW FINISHING their bloom cycle or HAVE already finished blooming, with the exception of Sweet Autumn- a fall bloomer:

Nelly Moser had 3 small blooms at the bottom of the vine

( at the 3 ft. level) in early July. It was nothing like it's former self of years past, when it was loaded with blooms from head to toe. The plant wilted entirely after it's 3 small blooms finished, which sometimes happens to group 2's anyway, so, I can't say for sure if the heavy prune had anything to do with the wilt, but the plant was stunted and pathetic looking even when it was green.

Guernsey Cream has grown new vines to about the 4-5 foot level, but has NOT produced a single flower bud yet, and it's not likely at this point. No flowers at all, zilch. Some of the lower leaves are turning brown, as do many clematis in mid to late summer.

So....my point is this:

If you live in a COLDER zone, follow the correct pruning advice for your specific clematis hybrid name, which you can find listed at 'Clematis on the Web'. (Link below) DO NOT prune your group 2 clematis heavily, as you would a group 3. You will likely have a stunted bloom or no bloom at all, as my experiment has clearly demonstrated. A group 2 in the colder zones can only be treated as such, which means a light or NO prune at all. I simply remove any dead looking vines when the new spring growth has clearly leafed out fully.

Experiment over. I have reported as I promised I would.

Suzy

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County