SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Which way would go?

nannerbelle
10 years ago

Well, got some decisions to make on the new house and I've got a choice of what to do. I would love to have some of you guys and gals weigh in on which way you would go with this. Here are my options.

1. Have my new yard tilled, leveled, and hydroseeded with a good hot weather grass. Most likely looking at Centipede. Install a sprinkler system, cut in the beds and put down landscape barrier and pine needles. This can't be done until December.
My biggest con here, the seed wouldn't have optimum weather to germinate, most likely leading to further seeding in the spring and additional costs. Cost up front from the contractor: $7800.00

2. Have the yard tilled leveled and I plant annual rye until spring. Cut in the beds, I lay the landscape barrier and later add mulch or needles of my choice. Install the sprinkler. Cons: I would have to do part of the work, my time is fairly limited but with the stress of the construction off me, then I should have a lot more free time. Plus I could really use the exercise right now LOL, I must have gained 20 pounds this summer cause I wasn't working in my yard and garden here.
Cost: $2950.00 for my sprinkler system, my expense for rye seed and landscape fabric. I would also be looking to seed again in spring with a good seed. And I would have to see what I would be charged for the till work. I'm guessing $1000.00 or so. My best estimate on a total would be about $4500.00 or so total.

I'm leaning toward Option 2, I could buy one heck of a yard tractor and get the attachments for less than I'm looking to pay for the work. Plus I could do it at the correct time of year, thus having the best results. What are your thoughts? Am I nuts or is this a plan that makes sense to you? I guess I could always have work done later if I see I don't have time to follow thru with this plan. And I'm not seeing this as a great time of the year to try to start a lawn.

Comments (21)