SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Which is worse...DW on prep side or inconvenient DW unloading?

homebuyer23
11 years ago

In the layout I am working on, I have my dishwasher placed out of the prep zone to the right of the sink (one sink kitchen, prep zone to left). However, its the last thing on that run before a corner which turns to a peninsula with seating on other side. Therefore the upper cabinet above the DW & to the right a bit, which would be ideal for glassware or dishes, is totally inaccessible while unloading. Plus, more than half of drawer space on that side of the peninsula is inaccessible while unloading. That leaves me with having to use a 25" drawer bank for dishes and glasses, if I want them close to all eating/table setting (dining table is behind the peninsula seats)...Im thinking 25" isn't quite wide enough for convenient dish storage...I do have large dinner plates.
I have several other places I could store dishes if I must but theyre not as ideal to me as right at the peninsula, and I really struggle with where to store everyday drinking glasses, most likely Id have to walk them to the other side of the kitchen. (Its NOT a huge space so maybe not a big deal, but just seems like a pain.) Or unload set on counter, then close up dw & put away.

If I just put my DW to the left of my sink, Id have a nice place to stand and quickly put everything away...something I value...we run the DW a lot!

But I know a big rule is no DW in prep space!!
If you had to compromise which way would you go?

Comments (15)