SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinmantu

What would you do.....

Tinmantu
20 years ago

Kay got me to thinking with her threads....sorry if some of these sound too deep, but I am always interested in how people respond to these type of threads...feel free to add your own lifes questions in your replies or just a "WTF? where did this guy come from??"...lol

1. if you could go back to any era in time. Where would it be?

2. if you could spend just one hour with anyone in history, who would it be? Who would be #2 on your list?

3. if you had your choice of any job/profession?

4. if your doctor told you that you only had 6 months to live?...How would you spend those last days?

5. if you were presented with living the comfortable and familiar life that you may be living now, versus taking on a new life that is full of possibilities and yet still unknown?

6. if you saw someone in a life threathening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help?

7. if you met someone on the street that was less fortunate than you, asking for money?

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you you choose?

9. if you had the ability to alter history in any way, what would it be?

10. if you knew that you could be rich, with the price of having no love in your life versus being poor and having a rich life with your family, which way would you go?

11. if there was a delete button to this thread and you could push it?

Comments (7)

• janet_ks
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. if you could go back to any era in time. Where would it be? Early 1900's or the late 1940's.

2. if you could spend just one hour with anyone in history, who would it be? Who would be #2 on your list? Not sure, I need to think about this one a little longer.

3. if you had your choice of any job/profession? I'd either own a craft store or be an actress (only comedies, no drama for this girl).

4. if your doctor told you that you only had 6 months to live?...How would you spend those last days? With family and loved ones.

5. if you were presented with living the comfortable and familiar life that you may be living now, versus taking on a new life that is full of possibilities and yet still unknown? I like the life I have now.

6. if you saw someone in a life threathening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help? Depends on the situation -- I could see myself doing both.

7. if you met someone on the street that was less fortunate than you, asking for money? It may sound harsh, but I wouldn't give them money -- I've be more inclined to give food or clothing.

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you you choose? I'd like to travel the world, but think I'd still want to live in the United States.

9. if you had the ability to alter history in any way, what would it be? I'd erase 9-11.

10. if you knew that you could be rich, with the price of having no love in your life versus being poor and having a rich life with your family, which way would you go? Poor and family.

11. if there was a delete button to this thread and you could push it? I wouldn't push it.

• kayjones
    20 years ago

What thought-provoking questions, Michael! I will be VERY interested to see how everyone answers - I'll go first.

1. if you could go back to any era in time. Where would it be? I would go back to the frontier days - Laura Ingalls Wilder's era to be exact - I know it would have been a hard life, but I appreciate the simpler/more honest way of living - today's world is just too fast-paced and dishonest to suit me.

2. if you could spend just one hour with anyone in history, who would it be? Who would be #2 on your list? Jesus would be #1 and Abraham Lincoln would be #2. Both were about 'the other human being', unlike today, where it seems most people are out to take for themselves. I feel I could learn a lot from both these great men.

3. if you had your choice of any job/profession? This is a tough one for me - I'd like to be so many things, but I guess if I had to choose one profession, it would be a Botanical research engineer. I love anything involving research and botany.

4. if your doctor told you that you only had 6 months to live?...How would you spend those last days? I would spend them showing all my loved ones what they meant to me, which I fall short of right now.

5. if you were presented with living the comfortable and familiar life that you may be living now, versus taking on a new life that is full of possibilities and yet still unknown? I am an adventurer and risk-taker, so I would choose the life of the unknown - I love taking the path least traveled, and discovering what exciting experiences lay just around the bend.

6. if you saw someone in a life threathening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help? I would be torn in what to do in this situation. I am trained to save lives, and to react to emergencies, but the first rule of life-saving is to call for help. I would just pray that if ever I was faced with such an ordeal, there would be others besides myself nearby. I don't swim, so I can't say what I would do if faced with this scenerio - another rule of life-saving is to not put yourself in danger to save another.

7. if you met someone on the street that was less fortunate than you, asking for money? If I have anything to give, I would give it gladly. You never know whom you are facing - could be someone who will one day make a difference in your life. I would never be brazen enough to think I was better than another human being.

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you you choose? I would choose one of the south sea islands. I am not familiar with any of them, so couldn't pick one, but if I were to be faced with the choice, I would do my research, then decide.

9. if you had the ability to alter history in any way, what would it be? That the Jews had not been persecuted - what a needless and senseless waste of our fellow man.

10. if you knew that you could be rich, with the price of having no love in your life versus being poor and having a rich life with your family, which way would you go? They say money can buy you love, but who wants to pay for it when there are those who offer it so freely? I would prefer to have my loved ones around me because that's where they want to be, not because I have money. If I were blessed with money, no one would know it - I would still live the simple but love-rich life I now have.

11. if there was a delete button to this thread and you could push it? I absolutely would NOT push the delete button. This thread has caused me to pause and ponder some of the 'what ifs' in my life that I may not have otherwise done - I for one, say THANK YOU!

• Related Discussions

What to do on this 8ft slider..what would you do???

Q

Comments (3)
    I have an 8 foot slider just like this, facing the west. I have a pole rod with fabric panels at both ends and heavily-textured semi sheers in the middle. The rods extend just a bit beyond the doors on the sides so I can push everything out of the way if I want, or pull them all closed in the afternoon to shut out the sun.
    ...See More

If you have a Ton of home-made compost, like I do, what would you do?

Q

Comments (21)
    I don't have real compost but I do have leaf mulch that has really broken down over the couple of years it has been in a windrow out in my back yard. The town brought me 8 large trucks ( approximately 200 - 250 cubic yards) that had been vacuumed out of the gutters. I use it as mulch every time I plant something new in my gardens about 6-8" deep and my soil is easy to plant into now and the weeds are few and far between and easy to pull because they are only rooted in loose mulch. I like it so much that I'll probably e-mail the Superintendent of Public Works about November and ask for about 5 more truckloads to replace what I've used. I almost feel guilty about how easy it is.
    ...See More

If you had an unlimited home design budget, what would you do with it?

Q

Comments (45)
    For the heavily wooded rural property where my sister and I live: Add 2nd bath and 3rd bedroom to our cabin (for small art studio & guest space) Complete interior walls and floors (sheetrock, paint, porcelain floor tile) Add mini-split cooling/heating system to replace window units and augment wood stove Build shelves and cabinets in living room and bedrooms Build dining banquette and table into dining nook Upgrade and paint exterior siding and build covered deck to surround all 4 sides of cabin to provide covered parking and protected walkways to and from living space Build combination greenhouse/potting shed Fence and landscape property...including well and pond with rock scape and waterfall Build small barn to house goats and ponies for grandchildren, nieces, and nephews Improve road and driveway for eased access to property
    ...See More

What would you do if you found a chipmunk? (Video)

Q

Comments (31)
    I was sitting inside my gazebo and reading a book. I had coffee and a blueberry muffin. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something come toward me, a chipmunk. I didn't move so chippy advanced and stopped within ten inches of my chair. I continued to drink coffee and eat my muffin, he looked up at me. I gave him a teeny bit of the muffin. I'm not reading the book but watching the show below me. He packed it into his cheek pouch and looked up again. This continued until he looked like a cartoon character. He sat by me for another few minutes and then started leaving, turned his head, and stared at me, I waved and he scooted.
    ...See More
  • puddlejumper
    20 years ago

I'm posting this and then I'll go back and read everybody else's answers. I'm very curious to see what everyone had to say.

I'd go forward 200 years or more to see what had changed and how people were living.

2. if you could spend just one hour with anyone in history, who would it be? Who would be #2 on your list?

I'd like to meet Jesus Christ. I'm still trying to decide who #2 would be.

I secretly long to be an Atmospheric Scientist specializing in hazardous weather.

4. if your doctor told you that you only had 6 months to live?...How would you spend those last days?

I truly don't know the answer to this. I'd eat as much chocolate as I wanted, though.

5. if you were presented with living the comfortable and familiar life that you may be living now, versus taking on a new life that is full of possibilities and yet still unknown?

Everything that I thought was important to me is gone. I can indulge in self-pity or I can stay open to the possibilities. I see my life as full of opportunities to learn new things and to try out possibilities. A year ago I felt hopeless and was giving up on life. What a difference a year makes!

6. if you saw someone in a life threatening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help?

If I had the skills to save the person I wouldn't hesitate to try. But, I wouldn't jump into the ocean because I'm a terrible swimmer and we'd both drown. But I like to think I'd run into a burning house or fight off an attacker to save a child.

7. if you met someone on the street that was less fortunate than you, asking for money?

I get a warm feeling when I help a homeless person. Once I gave a man money to buy dog food for his pup.

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you choose?

In no particular order: Switzerland, the UK, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Germany, Australia - I guess I would travel and have homes all over.

I would change parts of my own life so that I spent less time in the School of Hard Knocks.

10. if you knew that you could be rich, with the price of having no love in your life versus being poor and having a rich life with your family, which way would you go?

I'd rather love and be loved. As long as you have the basics, food, housing, shelter, and medical care, money is not critical to having a happy life.

No. I always enjoy your posts Tinmantu and this one is thought provoking.

• Tinmantu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

All excellent replies...ok my turn since I started it

it would be the late 1700's/early 1800's for me...a time for exploration...I would have signed up for the Lewis and Clark expedition if I could have

God is my first choice, I want this evolution crap cleared up once and for all. #2 would be Jesus, just to collaborate that God wasn't telling me what I want to hear.

I want to be a craftsman (as I am)....I get so much pleasure out of seeing something that is a raw product, devoid of substance and able to go in and make something of it, that I can't imagine doing anything else

I'd spend them with the people that are truly special in my life and I'd run up a credit card bill that would make Bill Gates jealous

I am going to take adventure over comfortable every time...that's not to recommend that someone that is in a relationship should, but when you get to be my age and are single, what do you have to lose

6. if you saw someone in a life threathening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help?
    This one popped into my mind because it happened to me at the age of 10....I was at the lake and another kid that I e were walking along the dam...he noticed a shiny lure that some fisherman had lost and he tried to get it...he stepped down to grab it and the moss on the damn sucked him right in....I didn't hesitate, I jumped in and pushed him up...I wasn't a good swimmer, it just happened...the moss was so thick I couldn't get out and no adults around but fortunately I was able to get myself past the moss area where I could get to shore...I think it's a matter of when it's a spur of the moment thing, we don't think of ourselves quite as much as we do when we have a minute or two to ponder

I would be more apt to offer to take them in and buy them groceries or a meal than hand them money...met too many winos and drug users in my day that they have all the lines down

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you you choose?
    New Zealand always intrigued me...along with the Cook Island area/Great Barrier Reef....someday I hope to check them out

I would have informed the people in pre 1400 that the world wasn't indeed flat...these same people were busy revising the bible and they tell us that???

I'll choose love every time....met too many unhappy rich people in my life...if money is what is most important to a person, they are the poorest of all

I keep hitting the "delete" button on my keyboard but nothing is happening....and where the hell is the "press any key" button???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Carrie B
    20 years ago

1. if you could go back to any era in time. Where would it be? Hmmm. I'd like to go back and talk to the kid me. So, I'd go back to my home, about 30 years ago, but as an adult.

2. if you could spend just one hour with anyone in history, who would it be? Who would be #2 on your list? Either my dad's monther or some as yet unidentified wise person.

3. if you had your choice of any job/profession? I don't know, but I would not be working for someone other than myself.

4. if your doctor told you that you only had 6 months to live?...How would you spend those last days? I'd spend time with my loved ones, ensure that my cats had good homes, and find someone to have good, consistent sex with.

5. if you were presented with living the comfortable and familiar life that you may be living now, versus taking on a new life that is full of possibilities and yet still unknown? Well, I suppose if the answer were the latter I'd have done so by now...

6. if you saw someone in a life threathening situation? (drowning, etc) Would you plunge headlong and not think about your own safety or call for help? I don't know, but would hope so.

7. if you met someone on the street that was less fortunate than you, asking for money? It happens all the time in Philly. I've become a little immune, and coldhearted, I'm afraid.

8. if money were no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where you you choose? In the mountains, somewhere temperate but with seasons, and with water nearby in which to swim.

9. if you had the ability to alter history in any way, what would it be? May I alter human nature instead?

10. if you knew that you could be rich, with the price of having no love in your life versus being poor and having a rich life with your family, which way would you go? How poor? Do we have no food to eat and are the family I love dying off because of preventable, poverty-driven illnesses? Do we live in the USA where your income determines your healthcare or do we live in a civilized nation with universal healthcare?

11. if there was a delete button to this thread and you could push it? No way. I love talking (and typing) about myself far too much.

• GardenGhost
    20 years ago

Great, thought provoking questions! Now my turn!

I wouldn't go back. I love this era. I'm spoiled, I admit it. I couldn't go back to the pioneer days of outhouses and no electricity. I'm a modern woman, and I am greatly excited about the future.

#1 would be my great grandmother, whom my mother adored. My mother had a very unhappy childhood, but her grandmother was someone she greatly loved and respected. My ggmother was said to be very kind, generous, and non judgmental. She'd help anybody who needed help. If she only had a small amount of food in stock to prepare dinner for her family, if she thought you needed it, she'd give it to you. GGma died before I was born and I never got the opportunity to meet my mother's heroine.

#2 would be Princess Di. She made a huge impact on the world and she never knew it. She never thought she measured up. What a shame!

3. if you had your choice of any job/profession? Nursery owner. I'm working on building a nursery business now. I love plants and they seem to love me. And I love infecting people with the gardening bug.

I would tie up loose ends--finishing projects at my house, clean out closets, drawers, give away clothes and stuff to whoever wants them. I have a will already, but I'd also label my "things" with people's names, so after I'm gone, they can come in and get whathever has their name on it. I'd clean out the storage building, tidy up my yard, finish planting all the plants I need to plant. I'd travel to different states and visit with friends and family one last time.

And THEN I would throw a big bash at my house--a farewell party. We'd drink and dance and laugh and tell stories. I would have written letters to each guest expressing my feelings, remembering great times together. And I would give each guest the letter I'd written for him/her.

When I'm gone, it is my wish to be cremated with no funeral and no memorial. I want people to visit me when I'm alive and well and can appreciate their presence, not when I've passed over into another realm.

Not sure what I'd do. The life I have now is uncertain and full of possibilities. I like adventure and I'm a risk taker, so I'd probably choose Door #2.

I'd like to think I could call out for help while I'm diving in to save someone. I haven't faced that situation yet. But I hope when I do, I'm up for the task and I make the right decision.

It depends. I'm a pretty good judge of character. If I thought this person would use it for food or clothes, I'd either feed him or give him the money. If I thought he was an alcoholic or druggie, no way.

Hmmmmm, I haven't been too many places, so I'm not quite sure. It's always been my dream to live in southern Texas. There's just something about the state of Texas that has a pull on me. But it would have to be some place tropical, a zone 9 at least.

I'm hardly qualified to alter history. And I fully believe that everything happens for a reason. Every little thing that happens is to teach us something, to show us something about ourselves. And if we alter one little thing, it can change our course drammatically--maybe for the better, and maybe not. So I don't think I'll do any altering, if it's ok with you.

I've been poor most of my life and quite good at it, I might add. I've encountered some of the richest, most unhappiest people in the world. So if it's all the same to you, I'll take the love and you can keep them money.

This is a great thread. You made me think and thinking is good. I wouldn't delete this thread. Thank you for enticing us to look inside ourselves.

Casper

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

if you could go back to any era in time. Where would it be?
    Early 1900s, when men were men, and ladies were ladies, and the clothes and manners were so beautiful (I'd probably have a waist, and would try to forego the corsets!)

Princess Diana. No. 2 would be Prince Charles, to even up the score a bit!

Social worker

Taking overdoses of pills - presumably I'd be in a lot of pain those last days, and I'd want to end it quickly, not die in agony.

I'm not living a comfortable life now, so anything else would be preferable, as long as it wasn't worse!

Have done it more than once. I was young and stupid, then.

I'd ask for a loan!

Right here where I am. Not the same house, but the same area.

Certain people would be drowned at birth, or their parents would never meet - Nero, Napoleon, Stalin, Hitler and others of that ilk.

I'd take the money every time. Poverty engenders misery.

Silly question!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!