SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Crash course?

lindac
16 years ago

I am not a beginning gardener...but I am a near to new clemmy grower.

Summer of 04 I decided I needed something tall in a morning sun bed. So I put in a Clematis, and stuck in a 2 1/2 foot tall black iron obelisque.

That clemmy scrambled right up it and onto the bush growing near by.

So the following year I got a proper support, about 4 foot tall and it said thanks....and I put in a white one.

I didn't know there were different types...I knew Jackmani and Ramona and Sweet Autumn. I think the first one is Ramona.

So then my neighbor built an ugly garage....and I bought some shrub roses on sale and and some 1/2 price clematis from Wal-Mart and planted them and supported them on tomato cones. My aim was to hide that garage and the weed patch growing next to it.

All are doing famously now and I bought a proper trellis....but I wonder what they are and what I should be doing...besides feeding alfalfa, blood meal and watering well.

2 of the mystry Walmart vines have little bell shaped flowers...one deeper lavandar than the other. and the other has purple flowers similar in color to Jackmani butw ith narrower petals. All 3, actually all 5, are blooming now.

What should I be doing? Leaving them alone and cutting back in very early spring? In the fall? Just allow what winter kills, or chop off more?

Ask me how to grow most anything else and I'll help...but I don't know clematis!

Help!!

Linda C

Comments (16)