SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Need HELP, ideas, and crash course with (kitchen) hood venting

kbear_15
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I posted this question under Appliances, but it was recommended I post under building a home. I previously had a thread about venting, but have found out more information since then & have more details now.

Am building in NE Ohio - 2 story colonial, ~2050 sqft. 9 foot ceilings on 1st floor, 8 foot ceilings on 2nd floor. Will have an unfinished basement below the first level of the house. (Haven't started digging yet, scheduled to start late this week).

Kitchen is in the interior of the house (not on an exterior wall) and directly above the kitchen is a full bathroom, master bedroom closet and master bathroom. We plan on having a semi-open concept galley kitchen (I drew a crude sketch on my floor plan) and we meet with the kitchen designer to decide placement of appliances/specific cabinets this week.

I cook alot and REALLY want to vent to the atmosphere (rather than recirculate). However, builder said it's not really doable because of all the rooms above the kitchen (if we ran it up, would be right in the middle of the master bedroom closet); b) the kitchen is surrounded mainly by 2x4 walls and said elbow of duct work would not fit in this size wall.

Despite this info, I have a hard time believing there is no possible way. There must be a way to vent outside within reason (cost wise, and idea wise) & still be effective.

Can anyone help me figure out all possible best efficient ways to vent taking into consideration all the above info as well as # 90 degree turns, total duct run, etc. (don't want so many 90 degree turns and excess duct run that the hood would then be useless and have the same power as recirculating (none!). And plan has to take into consideration possible consequences for the the upstairs.

I'd like to have very specific "plans" to present to the builder as I am not knowledgeable about alot of this stuff.

I'll attach floor plans/pics to help.

Referring to my drawing, if wall A were changed from a 2x4 to a 2x6 wall, could this accommodate an 8'' duct (and it's elbows, etc) & where would you go from this point? (or for 8'' duct and elbows, do you need a bigger wall than 2x6? or what can be done with a 2x6 wall)?

I'm assuming b/c of elbows and duct run, 6'' duct is inadequate and I'd need 8''?

My other question is if you change Wall A to a 2x6, would wall D on my drawing also have to be changed to a 2x6 or could it stay a 2x4? (I ask this because I'm willing to lose a few inches of width in the kitchen (currently 10 feet total), but not in my garage or dining - they are small as it is). So if wall A were to become 2x6, can it be done so the only room affected/losing inches is the kitchen? If so, if you change from a 2x4 to 2x6 wall, how many inches do you "lose?"

(same concept with Wall B - if range/hood were better off here, could you change this wall from 2x4 to 2x6, only affecting width in kitchen - & would wall E (which is only 2 feet long) have to be changed to 2x6 as well (I don't want to lose any more inches off my dining room)?

Things I've read when people can't duct the traditional way (not sure if any of these would be applicable to me):

- ?run horizontal through floor joists?

- ?use rectangular duct vent when necessary?

- ?Is it allowed to run near/along side the gas dryer vent?

- Run down into the basement if it can't run up?

- Exit through an exterior wall rather than roof?

- Best to get it in the garage and up into the attic and then up out the roof?

- best to have the range on wall A or wall B (does it make a difference)? Ideally, it'd be nice to have range on same side as sink in a galley type setup --> which for me, would place the range on wall B. Can I vent from wall B? If so, how?

- assume need to use remote or in-line blower with any plan given its non-traditional route?

With all the above, how would it be concealed/how would it affect/what would it look like in non-kitchen rooms?

Appreciate all help and ideas. (At this point, cannot change floor plan, other than possibly change 2x4 wall into a 2x6, etc so please do not recommend floor plan changes).

Don't know if this is relevant - but lets say a kitchen wall is changed to a 2x6 and wherever it runs --> do all remaining walls where it runs need to be 2x6 as well? (on 1st level, the only current 2x6 walls I see is the wall directly behind the washer and dryer (gas); and wall "C" on my picture. It appears all other walls on the 1st level are 2x4. Also, if this helps, I would be looking at a 30'' gas range - and likely non-commercial, so not an outrageous CFM hood requirement either.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor