SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Oh, why do I put up with fussy citrus?

cfox248
9 years ago

Specifically Meyer lemons. It's one issue after another with that thing! After I revived it from the brink of death, there are several branches that have grown rich, dark green leaves, much to my pleasure to see after months of work nursing it back to health. What do I see this past few weeks? CHLOROSIS. Some of the leaves are getting yellow tips and paling, leaving the veins dark green. I fertilize, so I'm amending my watering schedule, figuring it's probably an overwatering thing rather than iron deficiency, and I'm collecting rainwater to flush the soil out in case of salt burn from the tapwater. On the gorgeous new leaves, too. It's very slow chlorosis, but it's definitely there. *sigh

then I go camping this weekend. their first weekend all by themselves outside, after a week of acclimating. I left them with good water and in the shade of my patio so it wouldn't dry out. I came home and it was looking good - a few droopy leaves on the side that sticks out into direct sun (whoops, tried to get everything in the shade as best I could) but when I touched the branches... they're sticky! I saw no scale, but I came out in force with my alcohol and neem spray and doused it down. Going back out pretty soon to scrub with a toothbrush. They were pretty evenly sticky, and I saw no bugs so maybe it was something else but I'm taking no chances!

And over there sits my orange tree, happy as a clam since it arrived in the mail. I know Lemons are finicky but my goodness. This is ridiculous. I'll be out for the week coming up here and the last thing I need to be worrying about is my Meyer. Everything else outside is quite happy.

Oh, you lemon tree, how tempted I am to go get a new one - they have Improved Meyers at my local garden center! Every time a new issue pops up I just think - this is more knowledge that I'm getting about how to keep plants happy. Everything is a lesson, and I'll take something away from this. That's what's keeping me from chucking it! Some day I will get lemons from that tree and they will be all the better for all of this work and money put into the thing.

And to the squirrel who I suspect is digging in my potted plants - stop. There's nothing in there for you, I promise. If you keep doing it I will Cayenne the soil for you to find next time you try.

Comments (13)