SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Will these four clemmies have enough room and get along?

butterclem
17 years ago

IÂm going to try to describe the physical layout of the space IÂm developing. The idea is to plant four clematises under an arbor, two on either side of a wall water fountain. The planting bed is 3' deep & 5' wide for each group of two clematises. In addition, there's nothing to stop the roots from expanding sideways under the wall fountain since it's just a resin/concrete thing sitting on top of the ground, which would increase the 5' width. They will climb a net-lined trellis and then can (and hopefully some will) move horizontally across the top of the arbor.

One of the clematises  etoile violette  is already in place. I inherited it when I bought the house last fall. It looks quite mature and was still blooming a bit last August. I own a Duchess of Albany that IÂve been nurturing in a pot (and expected to plant at the old house). My primary question about my tentative scheme is: will the plants have enough room together. Will the smaller ones be able to duke it out with EV and DofA? Here are my "draft" combos:

Left side: etoile violette and Prince Charles

Right side: Duchess of Albany and either Pagoda or Little Nell

As long as the sizes work, IÂm very comfortable with the left-hand combo. IÂm a little concerned about the right-hand one because I canÂt tell from monitor images whether Pagoda or Little Nell is a good color companion for DofA. Has anyone grown either of those combinations -- or even seen them together somewhere?

Ideas, expertise, bald prejudices welcome!

Pat

Comments (4)