SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Do I have enough room in Guest Bedroom?

cpartist
6 years ago

I am building a house and just redid my upstairs to eliminate 201 square feet. I did that by making what was a loft area into the guest bedroom and moving my studio more to the right.

However, the new guest bedroom is only 9'8" wide.

I will need to have a queen size bed in the room. I am thinking of doing a murphy bed against the stair wall so I can use the room as my exercise room when we don't have visitors. A queen size bed is 60" x 80". From what I can see, the projection into the room would be between 84-86"

My concern is with the amount of room to move around the foot of the bed.

I'm guessing with framing etc, that will leave me with about 28"-30" at the foot of the bed. Will that be enough?

Comments (40)

• nini804
    6 years ago

Honestly, I don't think so. It is of course, doable....but it would be quite awkward and uncomfortable. That is quite a narrow room...is there anyway you can reconfigure something to give it more width. Take a tapemeasure and mark out 28" - 30"....it's not much at all. I guess people could roll across the bed to get out, but I think that would be kind of awful if two adults were sharing the bed! Are you planning on any other furniture in there? A chest or small desk to place traveling items? There simply won't be room when the bed is pulled down.

cpartist thanked nini804
  • teeda
    6 years ago

Could you relocate the door to the bedroom on the wall near the stairwell? Then you could put the the head of the bed against the wall near the elevator.

cpartist thanked teeda
  • Related Discussions

Guest bedroom remodeling Do's and Don'ts

Q

Comments (42)
    raehelen, Congratulations with starting you project! Starting the project means 50% of work is done, just don't forget to multiply estimated time by three! Thank you for the link. Believe me or not, but I prefer old fashion toggle switches, they are more convenient and are easier to handle in the dark. I will replace bathroom switches with the fancy ones anyway but for another reason, I have a z-wave network at my home that allows to control lights, locks and other stuff but old fashion z-wave toggle switches discontinued and only rocker z-wave switches are now available. When you turn lights and fan in the bathroom on, Z-wave controller will automatically turn them off after 20-30 minutes. Very convenient feature. Good luck with your project, have fun!
    ...See More

Master Bedroom lighting-what to do to get enough light

Q

Comments (2)
    Our Master has only one smallish West-facing window and is naturally dimly illuminated. We have 2 switched bedside lamps and 2 dimmed sconces with no ceiling fixtures whatsoever and find it quite sufficient. I work with the guide of 1W per sq ft as starters and then think about where I want the light to be.
    ...See More

Yellow for living room and guest bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm not familiar with BM paints, but SW has a soft yellow called Jersey Cream. Another popular SW shade that is a little more neutral than Jersey Cream is Ivoire. I've read that if you want a "soft" yellow, look for shades more in the cream family. Yellow has a way of intensifying once it's up on the walls.
    ...See More

How to break up this bonus room into a guest bedroom & office space?

Q

Comments (41)
    I think I would make a design that has walls on the office as well. An office is not something that I consider a space that is pretty to look at and can get messy so having it in view of the public areas would bother me. The other part is what if you're on the phone do you want the noise from all the other areas to be transferring to your phone call? Say someone running the garbage disposal in the kitchen or TV noises from the living room, or just conversations, screaming children, barking dogs, etc. Not sure of your house make up, but there are plenty of sources of noise in a house. I work from home twice a week and having a place to go and close the door is very useful when others are around and especially when in meetings where I can have my phone on speaker and also work at the same time. This way I'm not disturbing others either and others can't hear what is being said either unless they stand outside the door and listen in of course.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    6 years ago

I don't remember your front elevation, but could you make the window(s) a bay window or cantilevered window seat to give you a bit wore width at elbow height? A window seat would be useful too in that narrow room. It shouldn't affect set backs since you have the porch/steps sticking out way past any bay window or window seat you could build!

cpartist thanked chispa
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks nini.

I'm planning on having a stationary bicycle in the room and a tv. I'll arrange for luggage racks that can be put near the closets. And I'll have some built-in's relating to the murphy bed. The room is long, just not deep so there'd be plenty of room on either side of the bed.

Thanks teeda.

I had considered that and haven't ruled it out. However that creates the same problem in that the bed is 60" wide so that only leaves 28" on each side of the bed.

Additionally, the reason I had wanted to have the door on the wall next to the elevator was safety. I figure if a guest needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I don't want them walking out the bedroom door in a fog and making a right turn and tumbling down the stairs.

chispa, thank you.

I can do that, but one of the reasons I cut out the guest bedroom was to save a ton of money. Like somewhere between $25k-$50k. (We haven't gotten the final number yet, so this is just my guess based on all the factors). If I have to cantilever a window seat out, it would probably negate much of the savings from eliminating the other room.

• jmarino19
    6 years ago

We have a room that size for guests (9'7" wide). It's just enough space for a walk around.

cpartist thanked jmarino19
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks palimpsest and jmarino19. I'm thinking since most of the time the bed will be hidden it won't be so bad?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Consider getting a queen short mattress, it's a very common size, many RV beds have queen short. Or go to a local mattress manufacturer and have one made to your specifications. That is what I always do, go custom. 60x74 is queen short. Use a bed frame or platform that's the same size.

cpartist thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    6 years ago

I do think it is a bit tight but since when the bed is not in use it will be folded and out of the way, that the 28" is still functional. As an every day situation, it would not be preferred but for a guest room with a fold up bed, I say go for it.

cpartist thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • handmethathammer
    6 years ago

It could really hurt you in resale value. People are always complaining about small bedrooms on HGTV.

cpartist thanked handmethathammer
  • laughablemoments
    6 years ago

We lived in a beautiful apartment that had about as much room as you describe around the queen bed. It was fine for the year or so we lived there, tight but doable. The view from the bed out the giant windows made it worth it! : ) So, for a guest room designed for temporary use it will be o.k.

cpartist thanked laughablemoments
  • kswl2
    6 years ago

DD had a full size Murphy bed in our Florida home. The seem to project out much more than one anticipates when open. Could you make the bed a double instead of a queen? Or do built in bunks along one wall with large cabinet doors instead? The room sounds quite narrow.

cpartist thanked kswl2
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

cpartist thanked palimpsest
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Ravencajun.

That's a consideration although I do have some tall relatives. :)

Thank you tishtosh.

Thank you handme.

It could really hurt you in resale value. People are always complaining about small bedrooms on HGTV.

First of all I don't believe everything I see on tv. ;) Seriously though, this is a retirement home in a retirement area and the studio is HUGE and would probably be the guest bedroom for most people. Plus downstairs we have the master and a study that is 11 x 11.4 that could easily be turned into another bedroom.

Thank you laughable.

Thank you ksw.

DD had a full size Murphy bed in our Florida home. The seem to project out much more than one anticipates when open.

I looked online which is how I came up with the 28" walk around.

Obviously if that doesn't do it, my next choice may be to do a sideways murphy bed so that it's wider. I prefer not to, because that would mean one person would have to climb over the other person.

Could you make the bed a double instead of a queen?

That wouldn't work because we have mostly couples visiting.

Or do built in bunks along one wall with large cabinet doors instead? The room sounds quite narrow.

That is a possibility too. I'll have to run it by DH.

Thank you palimpsest.

I could move the entry door down, but can't switch the closets because then it would mess up my exterior. The windows are centered on the outside. (see my elevation please).

Do you feel it would be better to only have 28" on either side vs 28" at the bottom of the bed?

• teeda
    6 years ago

If I was sleeping in the room, I would prefer to have more space at the bottom of the bed, because it would feel less claustrophobic to me. I wouldn't have a problem with only 28" on the sides of the bed.

Would you consider using a pocket door in the location Pal drew, but keep the bed on the elevator wall as I suggested above? That way you wouldn't have to worry about the door swinging into the room.

cpartist thanked teeda
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

Could you center two slightly wider windows?

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I dunno, I had a double bed in my guest bedroom due to its small size. I kinda felt bad when my friends who were married came to stay, but they survived. Took them back to their newlywed days! I figured it was only for a night or two . . . A lot of the time it wasn't an issue because my guest was single or I didn't even have a guest! My SO and I would sometimes sleep in there due to it being quieter and darker than our master bedroom and occasionally there was something going on outside that we wanted to escape for the night. We were fine doing that every once and a while. Over the long haul, no, but a night or two, we didn't mind so most guests might think the same. Just a thought. Obviously the queen is becoming more the norm/standard, but people have survived for generations with much less bed space!

cpartist thanked l pinkmountain
  • maddielee
    6 years ago

"double instead of a queen?

That wouldn't work because we have mostly couples visiting."

Our guest room has a double, we still have lots of guests visit. Over and over again.

(My husband and I (we are not small people) slept on the double for a few nights while our Masterbath was being tiled. We did not have a problem).

cpartist thanked maddielee
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Teeda.

That wall isn't a problem so even if the door swung in, there would be plenty of room on that way for the door swing.

Thanks Palimpsest

Could you center two slightly wider windows?

I had that in an earlier version and the windows didn't look right but it could be a possibility if nothing else would work.

Thanks Maddie and Ipinkmountain.

Normally if I were 20 years younger I'd agree with you but the majority of people who will be coming will be seniors. I think it's too tight and not comfortable and I want my guests to feel comfortable and want to come visit again.

Obviously the queen is becoming more the norm/standard, but people have survived for generations with much less bed space!

Sorry I just had to respond to this. People spent generations cooking over an open fire in the fireplace, washing clothes by hand against a board, washing dishes by hand, reading by candlelight, etc. Just because it was done for generations, doesn't mean I want to subject my guests to it now. :)

• bpath
    6 years ago

The bed at the far end is really the best spot, no one HS to walk around it. Could the elevTor equipment possibly go in one of the hall closets? Then, instead of closet, you could place an armoire where it fits best? Or, if you do. Murphy bed at the far end, you could have narrow closets on either side. Or, whether Murphy or regular bed, walk through closet behind the bed.

or, and I don't like this as well, put the bedroom door near the top of the stairs, and the bed on the wall backing up to the elevator. The windows would be alongside the bed.

What does the elevator equipment look like? Does it take up a whole closet, or just a foot or two at the bottom?

cpartist thanked bpath
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

You could switch the mechanicals to behind the door, with the door opening either in the room or out in the hall and put a dresser or armoire in the spot and put the windows back in position.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

When I was a kid and my 80 year old grandma came to visit she had to sleep in a double bed with me! I inherited the heating pad she used to have for her cold feet. I inherited the cold feet too, think of her every time I use it!

cpartist thanked l pinkmountain
  • bpath
    6 years ago

I think pal nailed it. But, I still wonder, does the elevator equipment require a whole closet heigh-wise? If it needs the same cubic feet as the closet, can it be lateral instead of vertical?

cpartist thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Honestly, I have to find out what the elevator closet dimensions need to be. I'll get back to you.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean when you say, "You could switch the mechanicals to behind the door, with the door opening either in the room or out in the hall and put a dresser or armoire in the spot and put the windows back in position," palimpsest.

• Oaktown
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Our elevator equipment is vertical. Palimpsest's solution should work to get your windows centered again, but it will have the equipment closet as a bump in the lower left corner -- would you be ok with that?

cpartist thanked Oaktown
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

When you say lower left corner are you talking about it being against the elevator wall or where the door to the room is now?

Maybe I need to go to sleep since I'm not understanding? Night. LOL.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

my picture didn't post

• cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks palimpsest. When you get a chance can you try again?

• cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok I just got off the phone with my builder. We can put the elevator equipment in the attic so that solves a problem. If we want to keep it in the guest suite it would require a 2' x 2' space.

However if I put the bed on the wall that is now the closet, I will not have enough room for a closet and this room needs to be considered a bedroom. I say that because even if I center the bed on that wall, that leaves me with 28" on either side. Yes there are 28" doors, but then I would have no room for the door framing, etc. So the doors would actually have to be narrower.

I can now center the bed on the elevator wall and move the door to the hallway where the stairs come up. If I put the bed on that wall, it means either one walks directly into the bed when the bed is down or I have to move the door to the room too close to the stairway and that would make me nervous for my guests in the middle of the night.

• bpath
    6 years ago

How much space is there between the window and the elevator wall? And how wide are those windows? Can you center the bed under the windows and still have a little walking space between bed and elevator wall?

oops, I forgot, you're doing a Murphy bed so that won't work. Oh well. But, without the elevator equipment closet, can you add a window at that end?

cpartist thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is only a bit over 1' between the window and elevator wall. The width of the windows, I'll have to get back to you. Trying to finish packing up for our trip to FL.

Add a window on the wall that now has the closets? Not if I want closets. :)

• bpath
    6 years ago

No, one closet, scoot it over to the left. Space to the right for a low cabinet for your exercise mat and weights, and a window above.

cpartist thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like that idea! Thanks BP

BTW: Here is the absolute updated upstairs. LOL. Great thing is the mechanicals don't have to be in the coat closet so I don't lose my closet downstairs.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Much as I dislike them for myself, would bypass sliding doors be a good option in your guest room? The would take up less space when the bed is down.

speaking of which, will you have room for your body to move when lifting and lowering the bed? You know, like when you bend and your bum sticks out lol?

cpartist thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL bp. I just had a visual of myself lowering the bed and it wasn't pretty. I think I'll be able to lower the bed.

It's funny but not one guest has ever used the guest closet so I'm not going to worry about it. :)

• bpath
    6 years ago

So, uh, who is the closet for? Do you need one in there?

cpartist thanked bpath
  • laughablemoments
    6 years ago

Here's a thought. I can't tell if it really works or not without laying it out on graph paper (no time for that for me! LOL) I'm wondering what would happen to the space if you placed the bed on an angle and put the doorway down closer to the stairs. I know it's unconventional (and it may not be to code?), but what about changing the bedroom door swing so that it swings out into the hall? This would help funnel guests to the bathroom rather than down the stairs for late night potty stops. Another random thought I had about safety by the stairs is a "baby" gate that could keep people from accidentally going down them at night.

cpartist thanked laughablemoments
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks bp.

So, uh, who is the closet for? Do you need one in there?

We are in FL and don't have a basement so we need every closet we have. We use it for storage for our suitcases, etc.

Also, to call it a bedroom, by code it needs to have a closet. :)

Laughable that's an interesting thought. I'm going to try it when I get back from dinner to see if it might work.

• Lavender Lass
    6 years ago

Just an observation...if you have an elevator, you probably want enough room around the bed for handicap access. If the elevator is for resale....the guest room should be, too. The studio could be a guest room (for resale) but the current guest room is still small.

• rebunky
    6 years ago

Hi Cp, I just happened to check out the decorating forum and saw your thread. I just learned last night how to use Paint. Now I cannot stop!

I played with a WAY out of the box idea. I am sure it is a no-go as it might effect the ceilings below in the living room. I know you plan those gorgeous built ins next to the fireplace.

I will post it anyways though. I owe you big time for helping me on my cabin plan, but somehow I don't think THIS one counts as returning the favor. LOL!

It is a little crazy, but I was trying to figure out how to use the wasted space in the long hallway by stairs.

I was thinking, what about a T-shaped staircase where at the landing the stairs split. The one side goes into the bedroom and the other to your art studio. You could do a second door by the elavator hallway to get to the bathroom. It would give plenty space for the murphy bed anyways. ;-)

Sponsored
Legacy Cabinetry & Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Cabinetry Supplier