SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Betty Corning companion

mnwsgal
14 years ago

I have a gallon pot Betty Corning to plant this year near my front door which faces SW and is partly shaded by a locust tree. I understand that BC is a very vigorous grower and wonder about including one or two other clematis with her. Any suggestions? Some type 3 clematis that I have coming this spring are Villa de Lyon, Etoile Violete and Polish Spirit.

BC is blooming but I do not notice any fragrance. Hopefully that will come after she is planted and matures a bit.

Comments (42)

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

The fragrance appeared on mine later in her life, and is stronger at certain times of the day.

EV and PS might be too vigorous a companion, unless you have a lot of space - all 3 can get 8+' tall and 3-4' wide for me.

VdL is a little smaller for me, and her flowers are a little larger than the other two, providing a nice contrast with BC.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Michael, that is just the kind of info I need.
    Bobbie

• Related Discussions

Pruning Betty Corning Clematis?(what am i missing here?)

Q

Comments (8)
    I think what they may be getting at is that you don't need to cut group 3 down as hard as is routinely done. They do bloom on new wood, but new wood grows from anywhere along the vine. If you don't cut it low to the ground, the new wood will be higher up. That may be where you want it. Many people say 'ah, but then you get bare stems at the base...' Sometimes that doesn't matter, or you can cut a few stems lower to provide cover at the base, while leaving most of the new growth higher up. I regularly do not cut back group 3 hard. I just selectively trim some lower stems and leave a lot of the rest fairly long. If there are more/longer stems, there are more places for new growth to rise, making more places for flowers to emerge. More expert clematis growers pooh-pooh my approach but it works for me and I'll keep doing it. I planted a Betty Corning last year so I don't have any relevant experience with that one yet. I know it's supposed to be very vigorous and long-blooming. A few pictures of group 3s not hard pruned: Jackmani Superba that had never been cut back hard for seven years: It'll be interesting to see what that one does this year because it got cut back very hard last summer when we took out the New Dawn roses that shared the arbour with it. The clematis on the chainlink fence on the side is also a Jackmani Superba that gets cut back to the top of the fence (4') each year. I'm not sure what the clematises on the copper fence are - they were supposed to be Huldine, but clearly aren't! They are only two years old in that picture (2010) so are still a bit skimpy. I prefer not to have to do a lot of pruning so most of my clematises are group 2. Last summer we replaced the New Dawn rose swag with clematises. They are a mix of group 2 and 3 but I intend to treat all of them as light/no prune. It'll be a couple of years before I can see if that will work well or not. My experience to date has certainly led me to believe that one does not have to rigidly adhere to the pruning 'rules' to get a showy display and happy vines.
    ...See More

nursing a dying/dead Betty Corning?

Q

Comments (8)
    Always hope for a Clematis as long as it has good roots. Give it some root stimulator to see if this will move it along. Wait a month & give it another helping of the root stimulator. Or you could go right to the Rose food & give it some fertilizer & see if it takes off. Since the plant had good roots it should come back. I have brought back a few clematis from rabbit damage with the root stimulator & rose food.
    ...See More

A companion for Betty C and Etoile Violette

Q

Comments (9)
    I am sorry to say that I have been at a Lowe's when new clematis arrived and they were all labeled the same but there were several different varieties in the mix. Some pinks, some whites, some purples, some I knew and others I didn't, so don't count on them being labeled correctly. I bought several gal. pots from them late last fall that were not in bloom and am hoping they are labeled correctly. Sale price was too good to pass them by.
    ...See More

Betty Corning & Etoile Violette

Q

Comments (3)
    My BC reaches the top of a 9' trellis and flops back down. She is a very untidy grower, be prepared to do a lot of tying her up. She sends vines in all directions. My EV reaches the top of a 7' trellis and flops back down. They should reach the top and mingle for you.
    ...See More
  • pump_toad
    14 years ago

My companion with Betty is Prince Charles which is not as vigorous but is holding his own. In my case they are back to back on the trellis.I think they look good together although no planning went into the choice. I bought Prince Charles about a year after I planted Betty and just needed a place to put it.
    I have Etoile V. on another trellis and it is very vigorous and a wonderful clematis in my zone which is close to yours.
    Lois

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion, Lois. Do you have Etoile V alone?
    Bobbie

• pump_toad
    14 years ago

I have EV with Huldine.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have Betty Corning with Etoile Violette.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Call me with bad taste if you want, but I truly see BC with a dark purple more than any other color. She is such a irridescent pale blue & seeing a dark purple combo to make her pop like she deserves to be. I also think it will make the pale blue in her pop even more. I bet BC & EV looking stunning together. I can't say anything about flower size until I actually see it, but don't think I would care if the flower color was right as well as them being toe to toe growthwise. I saw a pic of a late large flowered dark purple with BC & BC overwhelmed the LF variety so that you could only see a few blooms. If I had the space, I would definately go with a cultivar that competes.

Now with that being said, I do have her planted in between Aotearoa & Tie Dye & hope I didn't make a mistake...time will tell. Both of these according to COTW are suppose to be bigger than her so we'll see. My trellis is 8' tall & if they grow beyond that I will be very happy...I love the doubling over effect.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I am going to make a very large trellis and use BC and Florida Seiboldi and maybe a purple bloomer.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

That sounds gorgeous!

Are you close to Donahue's? Most of the nurserys around here carry their clematis & they always do very well. I purchased florida Seiboldii from a nursery here (Donahue's) 5 yrs ago & it has been a real dud for me. A few of those years it never in popped up. It seems to be debated exactly what the hardiness zone is. I hope you have better luck with yours, it is truly a jaw dropping clem!

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Florida Seiboldi will never do well in our zone - it can't handle the sever cold. It irritates me that Donahue's doesn't explain that although it is sold in Minnesota doesn't mean it will survive winter in Minnesota.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in the Minnepolis area and drive to Donahue's once or twice a year for their spring open house and close out sale. A day's outing for my DH and me.

I was told by Donahue's that Florida Seiboldi is not hardy in MN and had to ask for it specifically as it was not on display. I am trying to push the zone. With some extra care it might come back. If not, I will get another and keep it in a pot that can be wintered in my garage as I do another clematis. I bought a medium sized container plant that is now in full bloom. Very beautiful.

I have several z:5 plants that survive and grow well in my yard.

Both years that I asked for a clematis that is not listed as hardy in our area Donahue's has explained that to me.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I'm glad they told you, but I didn't see it on their website.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I've had two Florida sieboldiis die here in zone 8 in pots over winter.

Betty Corning and Etoile Violette

{{gwi:588731}}

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

That is a great combination.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very beautiful.

• janni_dk
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh, BoS, that is awesome! I am going to go out and buy a Betty Corning today after seeing your picture. I've been debating with myself which blue clematis to put in between my Etoile Violette and Ville de Lyon. You just made that decision very easy :)

This EV, BC, VdL combo will be growing on a trellis that is app. 15' wide and 12' tall. Would I have room for a Huldine as well?

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I agree with BorS on this one. If you plant a not so vigorous grower with a more vigorous one, then unless you help out the less vigorous one, the more vigorous one with overtake and overpower the other one. I think either Etoile Violette or Polish Spirit would be great companions for BC. I tried pairing Roko Kolla, Warsaw Nike, and Viola with BC and Roko Kolla never had a chance. Right now Viola and Betty Corning are coblooming together but I still haven't seen Warsaw Nike yet.

{{gwi:588733}}

• pump_toad
    14 years ago

I agree Etoile Violette make a wonderful combination.Thanks for posting the picture.
    Lois

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Absolutyly stunning! Flower size & form is perfect! I now wonder if my LF hybrids are going to be too much? Great eye out of the gate LeAnne!

After this thread started I have been contemplating putting the ol' sieboldii in a pot...not after what you reported...better left in the ground. I almost can't wait for it to go to clem heaven so I feel OK about replacing it.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I should have put the pot in the greenhouse, we had a severe winter down to 15* this year but the greenhouse was already full and I had seen a mature Florida sieboldii growing in the ground here and was told it had been just fine.

Thanks on the compliments on the color combination. I was a florist for over twenty years and am really anal about it. I have a dozen daylilies now still in pots because I am waiting for them to bloom to put them out in the garden. I have a dozen oriental hybrid lilies too. I don't trust pictures for accuracy.

There is a texensis 'Lady Diana' on the other side of the trellis from BC but that combo isn't very satisfying to me. Her hot pink blooms are too jarring with BC. I was too worried about keeping her away from 'Prince Charles' and hadn't seen them in bloom together. I need to move her somewhere sunnier because she mildews first and infects everyone else.

My trellis is 9' tall at the middle section where BC is and she reached the top the first year after planting. I'm not sure what to replace Diana with, that section is only 7' tall so it won't be Huldine.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I will definitly be coming to you for color advice! I have been recently trying to understand color theory & why certain colors look best together. I did come across a really neat website to play around on...link below in case anyone else is interested.

Have you gotten the daylily bug too? Watch out if you have, talk about spending big bucks...I've seen 1 plant auctioned off for over $600! & it wasn't even a named cultivar! just a seedling! Those folks are nuts! That forum moves so fast it is hard to keep up, especially during the bloom season. I acquired a little over 100 in a matter of 6 months & they are planted in a temp holding situation until I see them bloom colorwise & timewise. I will be moving around a lot this summer. My gardening buddy collected 200+ & spent up to $300 on a couple of them. A lot of them were around $75-150. Too rich for my blood!

I'd be interested to know what you decide to plant with Princess Di. If you are looking for a white type 3 to replace her with (Huldine comment), the cultivar ncvilledude mentioned Roko Kolla (LLF)gets 6-8' & Maria Cornelia (Viticella) gets 8-10'. I know how you feel about mailorder, but Brushwood still has them available & can vouch for at least Maria Cornelia. I had a great experience with them & the roots filled the pot! It came with 5 stems! I was extremely pleased with my whole order.

Here is a link that might be useful: I found this website thru a landscape designer's website

• gardengirl_17
    14 years ago

I grow BC and Polish Spirit together on an obelisk. Had I wish the obelisk was larger but these two grow well together. Here's a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:588727}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

I like the dark violet blue companion.

Last fall I found two Venosa Violcea which I added to my arbor (which currently houses two Betty Corning). My first VV grew so vigorously that I figured these two would work well with the vigorous BC.

At this point, the 4-year-old Betty is over 7' and a mass of leaves and buds that looks more like a shrub than a vine. But the two VV's are up to 5' with 3 vines on each plant and lots of buds.

I'm more worried about the roses on the arbor. I want to see the salmon rose blooms too! These three should be quite striking together.

{{gwi:226504}}

{{gwi:227058}}

What do you think? Does the Westerland rose have a chance?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Yes, I have been bitten by the daylily bug. I've purchased about two dozen and have more on the way. I simply cannot buy the really expensive ones. All of mine have been under $12. I can't really fit red or orange into my color schemes and don't need much yellow either so that limits me. I got lucky and a local club had a booth at a local master gardener sale and only paid $5 ea for divisions that go for much more online. I have been visiting the forum here lately.

I have no experience growing Westerland so not sure if it can stand up to the Clemmies or not. Looks pretty though.

I think I'm replacing Princess Diana with Tie Dye. I like the idea of Etoile Violette, Betty Corning and Tie Dye together though I wish the Tie Dye could be in the middle instead of on one end. Betty needs the 9' height in the middle though and I don't want to dig her up and set her back.

I have noticed that Betty Corning throws out a lot of horizonal vines which makes her a lot wider than others. I try to tuck them up into the lattice but they often break off.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

janni dk, I don't know how I missed the last ? on your post, but with a trellis that large, I bet you can fit Huldine too. She is new to me, so can't say first hand, but hopefully someone will chime in. I have a trellis the same length as yours & only 8' tall & planted 8 clems & all of them will exceed 8' in height. I want them to double over themselves to achieve that 'look' & going for a solid wall. Too new to say whether it is working. I hope someone can give you better advice.

gardengirl, your yard looks great! From the pic it doesn't look like you need a bigger obelisk. Very pretty!

Since I don't have a single rose (nor anything else that has thorns) in my yard can't comment, but I can say is your BC & VV combo is stunning! I scrolled the pics half way on my monitor & that is going to look sweet when your VV's grow in!

LeAnne, wait...I started out like you too & once you find the crazier looking ones, it gets hard. I remember placing a sale order for about $6 each & wanted 1 listed for $20 & freaked out about the price. Let us just say that has changed quite a bit. On the defense of my gardening buddy, he is planning on hybridizing & he will make his $ back by selling just the seeds alone. If you have a really hot cross that everyone wants I've seen 6 seeds go for $60, & that is a crap shoot on what you will ultimately end up with! Like I said, those people are nuts!

So Tie Dye it is! I am very happy to hear that because I have a very similiar combo...sub EV for Aotearoa.

• scootini
    14 years ago

I thought i had my combos figured out until i read this thread.i've just built 2 8ft tall x 5ft wide structures[inspired by nckvilledudes], and i'm wanting to plant 3 clematis on each structure.[all purchased from chalk hill last fall]
    On one structure i was going to combine Carmencita, Betty Corning, and Gravetye Beauty, on the other, Negritianka, Abundance, and Solina. I would appreciate any feedback on these combos. Will they work or be too much. thanks Tracy

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I just scored some of the $20+ ones I wanted for half price on a sale. The shipping is a bit high but they average out to $12 each. I read good things about the grower on the Daylily forum, they haven't arrived yet. I don't even look at them if they are more than that. There is just no way I can afford higher and it is my understanding that many of the fancy edged ones don't open right here in the Pacific Northwest.

Scootini
    Betty Corning alone can get 5' wide.....I haven't grown any of the others so can't comment on the others growth habits.

I personally, would not plant Betty with Caremencita or Gravetye Beauty because they are reddish and I don't care for red and purple. Hated it when my friend who is also a floral designer would use red carnations with lavender daisies. However, she loves the combo.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Patron Gardens? I saw they had a sale on the forum. If so, I ordered from them last fall when they had a sale & they were great! It is a misnomer on the big ruffly ones not opening well in northern, cool climates. I attended a dl society meeting last fall with my favorite FLORIDIAN hybridizer speaking & they don't open well for him either...& he has heat! It's all in the genetics of the flower. I don't have those crazy ruffly ones either, I like the ones with the crazy eye zones & the ones that have teeth! You don't have to look at the ones that are more expensive for sale, you will see them posted on that forum & look them up because you want it & realize they spent a butt load. That forum is starting to go top speed now & only have time to look at the pics. I've seen a few posted there that are in the $200 range & the season is just starting.

I really like the combo of Abundance, Solina & Negritianka, at least from the pics I have seen of them & their growth rates seem to be very close. I guess beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, but I also have a difficult time with red & in my mind can only see it with white or yellow. But you are also listening to someone that wears exclusively black, white or earth tone colored clothes. If it wasn't for my wonderful mother telling me I need color & buying clothes at whim for me, I am now wearing blues, reds & very few pinks.

Let us know what you decide to do!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Yes, Patron Gardens. Glad to know they were good. I'm getting Funny Cide (one of my favorite race horses) Baffin Bay Beauty, Planet Max, Blackberries and Cream and I can't remember what else.

I've talked to two local commercial daylily growers here and members of the Columbia River Daylily club that all say many daylilies don't do well here. We just don't have hot summers. We have maybe ten days over 80* the entire year. I try to check local grower's websites to see what they offer before buying from a different part of the country. The local folks are just getting going with shipping, I'll be buying from them too.

I LIKE the colors of Abundance, Solina and Negritianka together!

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

My hybridizer buddy wants Funny Cide! He also has Blackberries & Cream which I will see first hand this summer. Baffin Bay Beauty is a BIG flower, nice! And love the colors of Planet Max. Sounds like you did very good! You are very smart listening to those folks out your way. Last summer, hopefully I am right, a poster that goes by 'mareas' lives out your way & was comparing dls that worked for her & others that lost color saturation due to the cooler temps & few that would not open correctly. After becoming a member of the dl society here, I can see not all people are as enthusiastic as others & knowing you are a pro about this, your best bet would be to pay attention & become good emailing partners with people here at GW as well as those dl farms. 'mareas is certainly not afraid to step out of the box & try something she really likes & will report on how it is doing for her. Her mother that lives really close is also into dls so you can get a ton of knowledge quickly. Go GW!!! You have got to love the info provided on these forums...nothing compares to true life experiences!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have been in touch with mareas :)

I avoided these forums for years when Spike was webmaster because he sent me to Disney and then banned me under my LeeAnne151 id when I asked why. I finally starting using this id which is my eBay forum id and realized there were tons of wonderful forums here. I really only knew about the pond forum before.

I want to go to the Kentucky Horse Park to see Funny Cide so badly, the daylily is similar to many I already have but I just had to have it.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Oh good! Isn't she sweet?! I met my hybridizing friend thru that forum as well. Great guy! I was just over to his house for dinner Sunday. We'll be friends forever! And it all started with that $20 dl I mentioned.

I can't believe YOU would ever get banned?! That must be an interesting story.

When would you go to Kentucky? If it is around 7/11 well worth it to make it to the Splendor In The Bluegrass gala. Featuring hybridizers of John & Annette Rice of Thoroughbred Daylilies and David Kirchoff & Mort Morss of Daylily World. If not mistaken, they are about 20 mins from where you will be & well worth it. If not around the time of the gala, they are always accepting visitors to tour their gardens. If you are short on time I hit the Rices, only because Daylily World just moved to KY from FL a couple years ago & just getting on their feet there. If you go, I will be green with envy!

Back to clematis, I can't wait for the big bang of blooms! Maybe not a huge bang since they are so new. This year I started a spread sheet with the 1st day of bloom & how long they will last & plan to keep notes on pruning, temps, etc on each cultivar to see about rebloom in my area in order to help other people. Yes, a spreadsheet is necessary with 55+ I accumulated last summer. I plan to experiment quite a bit & will post results. So far 7 are going with another 50+ to go!

Happy bloom season all!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Going to Kentucky is likely just a dream. Maybe by next year when the World Equestrian Games are going to be at the Kentucky Horse Park. I've been to The South in summer and it isn't an experience I'd like to repeat. The humidity is killer.

I need a spreadsheet for my Clematis among other plant obsessions but I use so many for work I can't bring myself to do one.

Spike banned a member and I posted that I really liked the member's posts. There was a thread where some were saying they disliked him and others sticking up for him. I didn't start the conversation/debate. The next thing I knew I was at the Disneyland website. I emailed Spike to ask WTF? and he sent me a cussing email that really made no sense and I was unable to logon again.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I bet he banned everyone in that discussion, not just you.

The hardest part about the spreadsheet is getting all the cultivars in to start with & then it is simply just putting in the dates & temps. Clems are a little easier to maintain then the dls. I don't know what I would do w/o it at this point, I can organize them according to height, bloom time, color, etc. Right now I have it organized according to bloom time so I know which ones to pay attention to (dl scapes). I don't think I would need it if I didn't have so many clems & dls! I used to go off the method of taking pics the day it started blooming for reference. Not spectacular pics I really wanted to waste hard drive space on & never a final bloom or temp doc, so it led me to starting one. I also document where I got each plant & the condition it was in when received & the date I planted it. It is amazing how your memory fades from year to year. Unfortunately, I just started doing this last fall & wish I would have started my very 1st day in this garden.

• scootini
    14 years ago

I have a viticella 'Flore Pleno' or "Mary Rose", and wanted to see what you guys thought about pairing it with Betty Corning. Would it stand a chance?

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

You must have gotten her from Chalk Hill...she is almost a figment of my imagination because you can't find her anywhere...I blew my chance of getting her in that sale. Only by pics I've seen, I would have to say that would be a stunning combo! W/o ever growing her or nonetheless hearing of anyone's experience with her, the growth rates sound great & the flower size will make BC seem big. The bloom times seems appropriate as well. Lucky dog! I personally would go for it!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Mine from the sale is still so small I'm not sure it is going to live....

• scootini
    14 years ago

Yes i did get it from Chalk Hill. I didnt think it had made it until i uncovered it from all the other CH plants .

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Just shot a new picture of Betty with a softer version of Westerland Rose. For me, the salmon is easier to match than the orange as the rose opens.

{{gwi:212238}}

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

What a beautiful picture! Looks like she can compete after all, huh?

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

I'll chime in here about BC and Mary Rose/Flore Pleno. The latter is quite vigorous for the and the colors go well together, but both blooms are relatively small and won't give you the size contrast of BC + a larger flower (like the Etoile Violette combo pictured above).

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Hi Michael! Do you have Mary Rose?! Please say yes & that you found her locally.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths