SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sissysimone

Does humidity really keep away mites?

sissysimone
16 years ago

Heres a good one for all.....

All you ever hear everyone saying.....To control mites, make sure you keep high humidity for plants right?....I am confused though...What if ones has these mites which can be common....

Life Cycle: Cyclamen mites were first reported in the United States about 1900. It has since become famous as a harmful plant pest. Cyclamen mites seem to avoid the light; they occur in hidden areas on plants (buds and between the calyx and corolla and the stamens and ovaries of flowers).""""This mite also prefers high humidity""". The eggs have delicate shells that can often be found collapsed among masses of unhatched eggs and mites. Deposited in moist, dark places and in small groups, the eggs require about 11 days to hatch. The mites molt only once.

Now what? Then if this is the case, why do greenhouses, even places like Florida have problems with mites on their tree in a humid enviroment.? has anyone else ever wondered why? Does anyone have an anwer? Even my local greenhouse was stumped on this one. And to be honest, I think I have this mite problem since my room is so humid and I can haven't been able to get rid of these devils all winter? HELP!!! Am I having a mite problem because I keep my room humid? have they evolved into humid loving pests? Lol

Thanks

Mike

Comments (8)