SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Pruning Integrifolias first year, and spring progress

butterclem
16 years ago

Hi,

I planted three integrifolias (Hakuree, Arabella and Petit Faucon) last fall almost immediately after their delivery. They are all up and looking very healthy. It just occurred to me that I'm not sure whether or not integrifolias need to be kept pruned back the first year like viticellas and others, or whether they can be allowed to stretch their wings.

Also, my Prince Charles, which I got in the spring, babied in a pot all summer, and planted in the fall, has poked up only one stem. Everything else is much more robust. I suppose that means I should keep it pruned back this summer, right? I don't want to! -- but I will if I must.

Otherwise, things did great over the winter! I put 15 clematises in in the fall, and except for Prince Charles and Chadsworth (which I got from Brushwood in the fall and planted immediately, so I think it will come around), everything looks vigorous. One on a north wall hasn't shown up yet, but that doesn't seem surprising.

On the other end of the spectrum from Prince Charles, Palette (a fall delivery from Debbie) has come up with four very strong looking stems! I put it somewhere where there isn't an abundance of room. Should I perhaps curb its appetite by not pruning it this summer and letting it bloom? I wasn't prepared to deal with good news!

Oh, and I may have to move out to allow Duchess of Albany room. She came up with 11 stems at last count! She had a summer of pot life last year, so it's her second year.

Pat

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus