SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_z6or

My day was spent clematis shopping...

Lisa_z6OR
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm the Oregon gardener who was looking for a blue group three clematis to go with a 25' rose rambler, 'Treasure Trove'. You all convinced me that Perle D'Azur was the choice for me. From what I read Perle has been around quite a while so I assumed my favorite local garden shop would have it (JB Brothers, Coburg). Well, no, they didn't. They had a host of gorgeous in-bloom montanas, various cultivars, they had several varieties of evergreens on sale for 50% off. I showed great restraint and managed to not buy any. Most of the one gallon clematis were $12, I found a Blekitny Aniol for $10 and had to buy it. I was sure I'd be able to find someplace for it and sure enough before the day was through I had bought climbing roses to complement it.

Next store was Home Depot because- hey! you never know...They had a lot of Nelly Moser for $12, Polish Spirit (got it already), and evergreen. I passed, but got some ground cover for my herb garden.

Next store was Tom's Garden Center. They had about 8 clematis, the smallest selection, but interesting. A couple Japanese varieties whose names I can't remember now, Niobe, Pink Pleasure, Petit Falcon. Price: $12 Still no Perle D'Azur or Prince Charles.

I had 45 minutes before I had to pick up the kids, but I managed to squeeze in Garland's Nursury where the rich shop and the poor drool. And there she was, the Perle, and a selection too. I got to cherry pick from a half dozen so I feel like I got my $16 worth. Which is a $12 savings over what I would have spent mail order. Of course I bought that $10 Blekitney Aniol and a $2 coffee- but the fun I had!! Priceless.

What is the going rate for a gallon size clematis in your area? The penny pinchers want to know...

Lisa

Comments (8)