SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

How I've spent my summer.....a pictorial

celeste/NH
13 years ago

Hi rosey-friends,

I have been super-busy since May and have only been able to come here now and then to read. I have been reading some of the latest posts trying to catch up, and thought now is a good time for me to chime in with a happy little post, complete with some eye candy. (This sure shouldn't be a controversial post...lol).

I miss all of you and coming here everyday, but gosh, I have been straight out all summer. My adorable grandson Connor was born in May and I help care for him while my son and DIL work, and as some of you recall, I am the full-time caretaker for my mom who is stricken with Alzheimers and is turning 87 this month. In addition, it has been a rain-less summer and with all the watering by hand of hundreds of roses, lilies, and perennials (including several new gardens I put in recently) AND picking japanese beetles and removing all the destroyed blooms they leave in their wake....well, its been a busy few months. But I didn't want anyone to think I had LEFT for good. Gosh, no! I have been snapping pictures along the way to be shared over the long winter months. Hopefully

you all have been having a good summer, and I look forward to winter when I can spend more time on the forum...

(Ok, I don't REALLY look forward to winter!)

Love to all,

Celeste

To catch you all up on what's been happening, on May 12th

my little grandson Connor came into my life....

{{gwi:305663}}......

and a month later I turned 50, which isn't the big deal

everyone told me it would be. Just another day to enjoy

being alive!

And here's Connor today, at 3 months.....

{{gwi:305664}}

Another wonderful event that took place in May of this year is that I actually HAD ROSES!!! This has never happened here before, and bless those little scots roses,

they bloomed their little hearts out. My spinossissimas are always the early-bloomers, but never until early June. This year they gifted us with blooms starting the 2nd week of May. They were followed by the rugosas and my old once-bloomers whom I never see til the third week of June, but made their appearance 3 1/2 weeks early. It was a wonderful treat to behold!

{{gwi:305665}}

{{gwi:305666}}

My garden looked wonderful in May and June, all full of color and fragrance. But then we had unusually dry and hot conditions, which is not typical here, and as the summer went on it was a challenge to keep all my gardens looking picture-perfect. (Someday I SWEAR I will get a drip irrigation system set up. It is torture toting around extra-long hoses to far-away gardens.) Once the deer and the beetles found my roses, things didn't look as good any more so I stopped taking pictures.

{{gwi:305667}}

{{gwi:305668}}

{{gwi:305669}}

{{gwi:305670}}

{{gwi:305671}}

{{gwi:305672}}

{{gwi:305673}}

{{gwi:305674}}

{{gwi:305675}}

{{gwi:305676}}

{{gwi:305677}}

{{gwi:305679}}

{{gwi:305681}}

Its old roses that make us all friends here, and old roses that make our hearts joyful. Their blooms are but a memory now,

and the bushes looking rather forlorn in the unrelenting drought and heat, but they are like old friends whom we will see again....and treasure always.

You are all roses in my garden.

{{gwi:305682}}

{{gwi:305683}}

Comments (35)