SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveningen

Here's how I spent my Easter Sunday (pix)

Steveningen
17 years ago

My veggie bed is ready to plant. It is actually against city ordinance to have a veggie patch in the front yard. I hope no one rats me out. You won't be able to see it from the street, so I'm hoping I'll be okay.

That is one well-amended bed right there. I got down about 10 inches with my tiller and gave it plenty of compost. I'm planning on putting in tomatoes, green onion, peppers, and adding a pillar in the center for beans to grow on. The little curvy area near the tree will be planted with herbs. I still need to tweak the brick boarders a bit and add some more good soil to the bed as well as some stepping stones for access, but not bad for a day's work, heh?

{{gwi:667462}}

{{gwi:667464}}

Comments (34)

• jxa44
    17 years ago

That's just gorgeous. great job. I'm envious :-)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Steven, it's beautiful. And it is utterly rediculous that you can not grow vegetables in the front yard. I have no idea if it is against our city ordinance. I planted mine there anyway.
    Lets see if the building inspector rats me out. I would fight it tooth and nail. I have no backyard space to grow vegetables . It is shady and the city won't let us cut down trees (not that I'd want to).

You GO!

GGG

• Related Discussions

Easter Sunday,March 23

Q

Comments (5)
    LOLOL Wanda. It' still too cold to see any here. That's a LOT of eggs. We had an unusual respite from the rain. The sun was out and brilliant, and that made is seem warmer, even though it wasn't. The little green things aren't popping too much out of the ground yet due to the cold....but the crocus made it in time for Easter. The buds on the magnolias are awesome though, and when the trees start to pop, it's going to be a sight. The stream has been running from our spring head now for a good month, quite fast and I see crawdad holes all over. I didn't expect to see that so early. We had family in for a good meal, and that meant at least the downstairs was picked up......it goes to hades in a handbasket when I am working on Easter orders. The main greenhouse still has the cloying, heavy perfume of blooming lilies hanging heavy in the moist air. Heavenly. I just looked at the forecast for the coming week, and I see hints of fifties and sixties, with cold nights. Spring is going to pop like a ripe hickey when it finally does.
    ...See More

How I spent my 4th of July vacation

Q

Comments (8)
    WOW, way to go, Jenny! I'll send you some Aleve. :D I love all of your plant choices! All of your work makes me itchy to get some yard work done, too. Too much smoke and heat just yet, though. :( Your area looks so refreshing and COOL! Brenda
    ...See More

What we did Easter Sunday (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    mrsgalihad...looks like you had a GREAT Easter. Our children are all grown and live 4+ hours away. We were unable to visit them and the grandkids, so worked in the yard instead. susie, I think the beds will work out great. Will let you know after planting and when we actually get to pick berries next year! flowerlady, we just love strawberries and so do the grandkids. One family has to make the trip down every year just so the two boys can "help" grandma pick berries. The oldest has already mentioned it this spring. His mom had to tell him that there will be no berries to pick this year. Usually I make 60-70 half-pints of strawberry jam and another 50-60 half-pints of raspberry jam and it is dispersed to all children/grandchildren. I sure hope the berries I bought will produce well. The old bed was planted by the previous owner and I do not know what kind the berries were. The picture below shows 1 evening's picking to give you an idea of just how many berries we got in the past. And why standing on my head just didn't cut it anymore!! :-)
    ...See More

Easter Sunday to present....

Q

Comments (3)
    What an amazing way to tour our wonderful country. I'm training for an 11 mile bike ride for a triathlon, and cannot even fathom the distance you have done. Eighty miles in one day??!!! I am in awe, and high fiveing you from NJ- stay strong and safe the rest of your trip! -Polly
    ...See More
  • todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I looks fantastic! Great great great job!!!!!!!

Just call it a potager, they'll walk away and scratch their heads. Most people have no clue what a potager is.

Edna

• Steveningen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes! It's a potager! That should confuse the code enforcement department ;-)

I know that bed looks really skimpy in the left side against the fence. There is a reason for that. I've planted a Westerland rose on the other side of the fence. I'm expecting it to cover the fence almost entirely. I didn't want much of a bed on this side of the fence because the rose will be the main feature. The narrow path will serve as my access area to tend the beast.

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

WOW! Awesome job, Steven!
    I can't wait to see this space as things begin to grow!

Patti

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

We all need a veggie garden that looks so good! Do you need a bottle of ben Gay or one of those icy hot patches? I love those darn things. Your back should be achey today. I am jealous of that son..it is nasty cold and freezing here the last week and predicted for the next to come also. All the flowers and little bits of greeen we had a frozen black.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

It looks wonderful and the rose will certainly cottage "ey" it.
    My deer herd would be thrilled if I did that.

• gldno1
    17 years ago

That is a potager. I think with all the flowers you have around it, it will never be noticed. Just always refer to it as the potager to locals instead of the vegetable garden!

It is a lovely thing.

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

Very very nice job Steve. Definitely refer to it as a Portager - sounds very upscale *wink*......

Lynne

• DYH
    17 years ago

So beautiful! I agree, call it a potager instead of a veggie garden.

If anyone gives you any grief about it, remind them about the spinach contamination, the peanut butter contamination, the dog and cat food contamination...I think you'll be left alone to grow and enjoy your glorious potager!

• debbieca
    17 years ago

Put some nasturtiums and marigolds in there and most people will never know it's not just flowers. : ) Call the onions alliums, etc. Scarlet runner beans are edible and flowery.

Nice work!

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Beautiful job! Very clever idea how it is laid out. How about some chives and then let them bloom? I agree, just "sprinkle" in a few flowers here and there and no one will know the difference. Again, great job!

I was wondering if you had made any decision about moving that you mentioned on another thread? It would be so hard to leave all your hard work behind.
    Marylu

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

Beautiful work!! I can't wait to see it planted!

So jealous of your good weather - the only thing I managed to do was a little bit of cleanup in the yard.

(And of course, with little kids, that project would probably take a month...)

• susie_gardener_2007
    17 years ago

Wow! That really looks nice and so neat. You are going to enjoy that so much!

Susie

• georich5
    17 years ago

Steven,
    You do your mantis proud!!! That is so artistically designed. Hey, Edna has her potager in the front and it's lovely. I especially love the look the white fence gives it. It's like a "floating kingdom" above the street. You can see out but have your privacy too!

georgeanne

• User
    17 years ago

Stevie that is GORGEOUS ! How did you do the bricks..what are they laid in ?

• party_music50
    17 years ago

It's absolutely meticulous! (sigh)

• Steveningen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. And yes, I'm one sore puppy today. The design just sort of happened. We had a couple hundred paver stones left over from the patio and paths in the back garden. We've been saving them to make a little BBQ area. But it dawned on me that we would still have plenty left over even after that. They are just set on earth. I know they will shift and sink over time, but it's a small enough area that resetting them in the spring will be easy enough. I didn't want anything too perminant because as Marylu pointed out, we may move within a year or so. And yes, Marylu, it would be hard to leave this garden just as I'm getting it where I want it. I just can't think about it too much or I'll hold my breath and turn blue.

• memo3
    17 years ago

A perfect solution, Steven. Bravo! What a gorgeous garden. I can't wait to see it all planted up.

BTW...WHAT is UP with your neighbor's tree? Don't park your car there!! LOL

MeMo

• Steveningen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh. The tree. Yes, isn't it beautiful? It has been "maintained" by one idiot and his chainsaw. We have complained to the city about it. He has been cited. It's a race against time. Will the tree fall before the city and the property owner work things out? I'm taking bets.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Steven, I lurk here and post on other forums. Couldn't resist chimeing in when you mentioned that city ordinance.. considering the blight in many areas of Vallejo I can't even imagine anyone focusing energy on your beautiful garden. I think your house is charming and represents some of the wonderful older homes in your city.
    All the best to you !

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Steveningen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why, thank you Kathy in the Napa Valley. That was a lovely thing to say. We live in what is called the Heritage District of Vallejo. We are surrounded by beautiful old homes. This city saw some rough times but things are definitely changing for the better.

Of course the people that might complain are the very people who would see Vallejo maintain the status quo. That would be the opportunistic landlords who snapped up property after property in the 80's and 90's and began renting out for Section 8 money. We call them suburban slumlords. In this little game of theirs, no one wins but them. Their properties stay dilapidated and their tenants too afraid to complain. It's changing rapidly and slowly at the same time. In the meantime, I just keep on planting.

Kind regards to a new friend in Napa.

Steven

p.s. what kind of gardening do you do?

• littledog
    17 years ago

My Mother was the executive director of the Housing Authority in a small town near here for a number of years, and I'm familiar with the section 8 program. If those properties are dilapated, they aren't section 8 housing. Section 8 housing is a federal program that provides rental assistance to very low income families. The house isn't "on" section 8, the tenent is. The head of household receives a voucher that basically says the Federal Government is willing to pay x amount of money for a home or apartment that has X number of bedrooms and bathrooms (depending on the size of the family). The family has to find a house or apartment that meets the requirements of the voucher as far as size and price. The dwelling must pass inspection before the family is allowed to move in, and is subject to a yearly inspection as long as they are living there. If the house fails *anything*, the landlord is given 30 days to make repairs, or the family must move. (and they take the guaranteed Federally subsidized rent payments with them)

There are lots of things the inspectors check on, including no open flame heaters, no peeling paint inside or out, all windows and doors must open and close and lock, toilets must flush, no seeping septic, standing water or trash in the yard, all electrical outlets and light switches must work, any shutters, gutters or trim on the outside of the house must be firmly attached, and absolutely no signs of vermin (roaches, rats or mice). Here's a link to a general checklist; this one is from Orange County, Florida, but it gives you an idea of what they're looking for. At any rate, if you know of a home being rented through the section 8 housing program that is dilapated, or otherwise not being maintained, call the local HUD/Housing Authority office and report it. Even a poor family deserves a decent home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Section 8 Housing checklist

• littledog
    17 years ago

Steven, LOVE the new bed, can't wait to see what you plant in it. ;^)

And a pox on petty authority figures who would forbid you from growing a legal plant in your own yard just because you can eat it. As others have suggested, I'd interplant the lettuce, beans, tomatoes, onions and what not with a liberal dose of blooming flowers. If anyone complains, point out to them that it's all decorative; you're growing Zucchini for that wonderful foliage, or the tomato cages are there to provide height and structure to your flower bed. Of course, all peppers are ornamental, and so are tidy rows or even blocks of onions, carrots or cabbages. Add a row of Zinnias, and it's a cutting garden.

• sowngrow (8a)
    17 years ago

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me of why I stop in here from time to time. It's the beauty of the work cottage gardeners do and your bed is beautiful Steven. I can't wait to see it planted! How exciting. I've got a small raised bed for my herbs and veggies and it's so fun to go right out to pick what I need! Good going!
    Robin

• lorinscott_1
    17 years ago

Steven, that's a great looking bed you designed and filled, and like the others, I can't wait to see it planted up and producing.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

Hola Steven! I haven't had a lot of time lately to check in on my fellow cottagers but finally got a few secs. Your Potager looks fabo! I can smell the wonderful fragrance of your soil all the way down here in So.Ca. : P Makes me want to run my hands through it all. I just love freshly amended garden beds!

I see you finally got a Westy. I am really looking forward to pics of it as it grows and blooms. Give it lots of room! The two I have on the front arbor have practically eaten the thing. lol! I had to trim the inside canes off because no one could enter through the arbor without getting clawed. A friend said I needed to hang a box of bandaids next to it. ; ) So you've been warned!

Now I think you need another trip to Annie's to fill up those lovely beds. And how about putting that colorful footstool out there - the one you couldn't find a place for and I lusted after. ; )

Have a great gardening weekend!
    Diana

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

I think you have a 'Work of Art' there Steven, remember the Tomato is actually a fruit not a vegetable, if they want to get picky, picky, picky, :o)

A......

• dmg2242
    17 years ago

What a beautiful bed! Having wandered over here from the rose and clematis forum, my eyes immediately latched onto your beautiful white picket fence and gateway---oh my! A rosarian's (loose terminology, because I'm a semi-beginner)dream--ha! Your Westerland is going to beautiful when it grows in. Of course, I would cram about 23 more roses and 15 Clems along your fence line to keep Mr. Westerland company-ha!

Great job! I would love to see pics of your veggie garden when it grows in!

Just an fyi--climbing roses on the gateway and grandiflora roses along the fence would make it impossible for anyone to see your lovely veggie garden. ;) And if they tried to peek inside--they would probably get a thorn in the nose!:)

Happy gardening!
    Denise

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

You did a great job and will just love it. I did a potager last year lined with brick and it made vegetable gardening so much more fun. Enjoy!

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Steven,
    I live in basic tract houseing , built in the early 80's. As of last fall I have removed most of the lawn (what remains is "path") and have installed a cottage garden-of sorts-in my front yard . I'm sure you can relate to the size of my lot as it is typical to our region. I have 70+ roses ,numerous Clematis, Lilies, Daylilies , Dahlias (ordered from Swan Island in Oregon) numerous perennials ,various annuals.. I am trying to figure out how to get more space for veggies. This weekend I will go to Copias plant sale to get my tomatoes. My plan is to have the ubiquitous RV parking area removed next year and converted to my veggie garden. A work in progress , right ? I have really enjoyed viewing the progress of your garden. I also had a custom arbor built in my front garden this year-yours turned out so great ! Mine is smaller but I don't have that terraced thing going on. I grew up in LA and your front reminds me of certain older hillside neighborhoods there.
    Looking forward to a bit of rain tomorow-hope it keeps us from having to water !

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Steveningen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Littledog. Section 8 is a wonderful program. They are truly a fine bunch of folks. Unfortunately, our local authority is stretched really thin. A lot of the properties don't get inspected like they should. We had a house across the street from us that was exceptionally bad news. Drug dealing, trashed property, scary people, etc. It had been like that for years. We took on the landlord and, working with HUD, forced an eviction and made the landlord clean up his act. It took a full two years and lots of retaliation and dirty tactics towards us by this butthead owner. I documented the on-going saga of the Pig People on this here site.

Yes, Diana, I got my Westie, thanks in large part to you. He can get just as big as he wants. Just on the other side of the fence is a 3 foot by 20 foot area that will be all his. Mr. Westie will sit here above a retaining wall that has about a six foot drop to the neighbor's driveway below. I know it will eventually swallow the fence, but I'm not concerned. It's wonderful to get to say hello to you kiddo! How's trix? Give us an update.

Thanks for the compliments, Denise. I'm into my third season growing roses and consider myself a beginner. But I've learned much and am feeling a lot more confident. I've got two new Iceberg Climbers on either side of the arbor. Down the way (out of site in these pix) I've planted and Eden to spill along the fence. Waiting to be planted are the Westerland, Ballerina and Christopher Marlow. I also have The Ferry and have chosen the perfect spot for her. I will certainly be adding clematis right along with the Iceberg on the arbor. I'll have them dotted along the fence here and there as well. See, great minds think alike ;-)

Hi again, Napa Kathy! Your gardens sound beautiful. I would love to have that many roses but I have to fight my partner on them. Sort of like Lucy sneaking a new hat past Ricky. I'm up to 16 hats, erm, roses now. So you get your 'maters from Copia, huh? Nice nursery that. We usually get ours from Mid City. They have a very good selection. We actually use them as our primary nursery. Their customer service is top-notch. Family owned and such sweet people. You bet I'm looking forward to the rain tomorrow. It won't be much they say, but it will give me an excuse to sit on my duff sipping coffee all morning. I need a little break. Enjoy!

My gums are flapping tonight. I can sure be a windbag LOL. Sowngrow, Lorinscott, Miss Aftermidnight, Michelle - thanks for your comments. I can't wait to show that puppy off this summer. My mouth is watering for a sun ripened heirloom tomato!

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Steven, I visit mid-city on occasion as well. I have friend (Sue) who works there. You are spot-on about thier customer service. I wrote a column in my companies newsletter about Mid-City and their service, it is really exceptional. Have you visited DJ's here in Napa ? Maybe 20 minutes north of Mid City ( on a weekend) and very very cool plants, all grown here locally. Also good service...

Kathy in Napa

• cattknap
    17 years ago

What a neat and beautiful garden plot - great job!

Sponsored