SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yourmomsart

LADWP turf removal rebate

yourmomsart
10 years ago

Hello!

My partner and I bought our house in March. We live in Los Angeles (Sunset zone 22, USDA 10b). We want to get rid of the grass in our front and side yard and replace it with natives and drought tolerant plants/trees. I also want some raised beds for veggies. I believe the grass is either bermuda or crab grass. I would like to take advantage of a turf reduction rebate that LADWP and the city are offering. It requires first to apply for the program, then once approved you have 120 days to transform your space (get rid of your grass and plant drought tolerant plants). Then you turn in a second application with pictures of what you have done, plant list, etc and if they approve they send you a check. I mean that's if all goes well and you follow all the other requirements. I'm assuming that most Angelenos who are on GW probably know about it.

I wanted to tackle this project over the summer but got bogged down with some other projects, as well as the bureaucracy that is trying to apply for permits etc through the city. I also want to replace the turf in the parkways around our house, which requires a permit or waver. We live on a corner lot so there is a lot of parkway.

Any who my question boils down to, is it possible to remove bermuda and/or crab grass in only 120 days? If so which process should I use? Lasagna mulching? Clear plastic? Round-up? Vinegar? I have read through many of the grass removal threads and it seems that everyone has a different opinion. I'd rather not use round-up but I really want a clean slate. Also I am guessing I am going to have to wait until summer to tackle this, since rain is just around the corner and the grass seems to love water (at least that is what my water bill is telling me!).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Even if it just to say I am lazy and should just start experimenting!

Thanks so much.

P.s. I'm a new home owner and new gardener and this is my first time posting but I am so grateful for these forms. Just doing searches and reading through them has answered so many questions!

Comments (28)