SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddyben

Ray Hartman Ceanothus

buddyben
15 years ago

I need some advice. I want to train my young Ray Hartman Ceanothus into a small tree. I bought a Ray Hartman Ceanothus and planted it two weeks ago. It is about 12 inches tall. It has a main "trunk" arising from the ground about 3 or 4 inches tall. Then the main trunk branches off into three stems, probably from a heading cut. The three stems originate from the trunk at about the same point; the three stems are not spaced out vertically from each other.

I wasn't really happy with the plant when I bought it but it was the best one they had at the time. Now, however, the nursery has 20 new plants, so I could go and buy a better one if they have one.

Three questions:

1. Would it be more structurally-sound to train for a single-trunked Ray Hartman tree or a multi-trunked tree?

2. If I train the plant to be a single trunked tree, would it be better to go and buy a new Ray Hartman that hasn't had a heading cut done to it yet (one that is a single upright stem still)?

3. If I train the plant to be a multi-trunked tree, should the trunks all arise from ground level or from a short main trunk? And would the Ray Hartman that I already have (with the three stems originating from the same point on the trunk) lead to a structurally weak tree?

I've read my pruning books, but they really don't get specific enough for this situation. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks...

Comments (6)