SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Fast growing tall privacy screen and tree for sunset zone 17?

Tmnca
6 years ago

Hello,

We recently bought a house in sunset zone 17, (after a condo with tiny patio borders we finally have a front and back yard!) and there are some area of our yard that we'd like to screen better from neighbor's view. On one side there is the 2 story house (ours is single story) large blank wall looming over our yard. On the back there is a glimpse of the neighbor's RV parked, and their driveway passes our side patio.

I've considered building some wire trellises and planting some fast growing evergreen vines like trumpet or star jasmine - I love bougainvillea but hate the thorns, so I don't want one close to the patio though the side of the backyard would be ok.

And for the front yard - which is currently Bermuda grass "lawn", which we will be removing and replacing with water wise landscaping and have reserved our CA turf removal rebate, so we need to use plants from their approved low water use list for this project. We will want at least one small tree for the front - of course the usual... root system that won't break into or water or sewer lines, crack our driveway or sidewalk. Evergreen would be good and something low and shrubby to screen the street out front (but still considered a "tree" for he rebate). i like fruitless olives but they are so pricey and slow growing, so a small one wouldn't be nice for years... we are on a tight budget.

Comments (8)