SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
land3499

Please don't use abbreviations in your posts

land3499
12 years ago

I only know some about Euphorbias, and a bit about cacti, so I find it frustrating when I read abbreviations like this:

"a few pics of a NBC

a few pics from VB

Some of my dr's

for my Large DR

looks like an Opie"

(if anyone recognizes their own writing there, please understand that I don't mean to single anyone out for criticism -- I just needed some examples.)

The people on this forum (even the Jade growers :) :) ) have so much knowledge and generously share it, but it's hard to absorb it when you don't know what they're talking about!

IMO the best way to share your love of/appreciation for your plants is by being explicit, not by being obscure and potentially cutting someone off from sharing your enthusiasm.

-R

PS. Yes I figured out what a DR is, and I think an Opie may be an Operculicarya and not Ron Howard :)

Comments (40)

• User
    12 years ago

NBC = Night blooming cereus

I haven't figued out VB either

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

VB = Virginia Beach (where one of posters, Laura, resides)

And Robert, you nailed it on the Opie.

I try to use abbreviations / initializers / acronyms only after I've explained what they are once.

Happy Friday.

• Related Discussions

Please don't use pesticides...

Q

Comments (75)
    It's hard to say because there are various attacks people make against CAFO's (confined animal feeding operations). Additionally large livestock operations are regulated mostly by the states, therefore there is some variability b/t regulations. When I was farming, I was very familiar w/ the regulations of AR & MO, which were rigorous. But even then livestock operations came under attack from people w/ an agenda. Since there were no regulations regarding air quality (people didn't want livestock farms close to their house) and no animal rights regulations, the point of their attack frequently was ground water contamination, since that was their only avenue. In those cases I found it hard to swallow that farms like mine were responsible for polluting ground water when we applied less N/acre than row crop farmers. The P that was applied was taken up by the row crops when they were harvested. In the states I'm familiar with, no permits for livestock operations allow discharge of effluent into streams or rivers. I'll also add our lagoon never ran over. This is very different from city sewage. I have a relative that worked at the main sewage "treatment" plant for Kansas City & Blue Springs (I've toured the plant). They have a discharge permit that allows them to discharge effluent back into the MO river. Someone may respond, "But it's treated." Their treatment essentially consists of allowing the solids to settle in a huge tank and sprinkling the remaining effluent over rocks to get the BOD rate up, then discharging it back into the river. However, during really heavy rains, the plant couldn't handle all the sewage (due to the old practice of hooking up storm drains to sewer systems) so the plant would turn "raw" sewage into the river because they couldn't handle the volume. Despite this, in all the attacks against CAFO's contaminating the water supply I never heard sewage from cities mentioned. In my opinion, it was easier on the conscience to blame agriculture than the flushing of millions of toilets.
    ...See More

Don't forget to post your releases

Q

Comments (88)
    Since Aug.6th, I have released: 1Zebra Longwing, 2 Polydamas,1Eastern Black, 2Sulphurs, 1 Spicebush, 5 White Peacocks
    ...See More

I still don't know how post pics - help please?

Q

Comments (4)
    Easiest way is to get a free account over at photobucket.com. With every photo you upload, you get what's called a "tag line". Simply clickon it to highlight it, right click and copy it, then when typing your post, paste it into the text of your post, and when you post it, the picture will show up.
    ...See More

ugly bedroom pics are on the please do help posting, don't faint

Q

Comments (4)
    here is a link to your original thread. If you want more people to chime in, it would be better to just bump the original thread by posting on it again instead of starting another one. Also, in the future, you should try naming your threads differently. When I searched for your bedroom thread, I came across a kitchen backsplash thread almost named the same. Good luck. Here is a link that might be useful: Original Thread
    ...See More
  • TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

land3499 -

'IMO'? What does that stand for? (just kidding)....;-)

I am guilty...'Opie' is Operculicarya...

Tom

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

VB......
    A few DR's....LOL GUILTY!!! IT's ME!!!

VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA that's why a use VB, sorry for using the abbrevviation but im not that fast of a typist and im usually over at the Palm Forum and Plumeria Forum where people know that im from Virginia Beach!!!

So, in future post, when you see VB you will know that this is where i live!!!

I guess im guilty as charged, yikes!

Next time , ill try and spell everything out!!!!

As for me knowing or having knowledge, im just a beginner as well...so im trying to learn just like the rest of us...

: )

Laura in VB : )

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Lol..Laughing out loud.

Robert: I had no idea what ROFL meant until last week..

Mike:-)

12 years ago

Rolling on the Floor Lubing?

12 years ago

Rolling on the Floor Luffing.

In celebration of GW removing the SPAM from the Sans (oops!) Forum, may I link to a book which we might find useful? Good.

Here is a link that might be useful: TIHWDI

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

FWIW - I get a LOT of plant-related questions in my email that come from readers at GW. Some are very cordial, introducing themselves, often offering kind words and a thank you for previous help or posts that led to their writing ...... very friendly people IOW. I always answer their questions in a friendly way.

Others often write w/o even introducing themselves, ask several questions, and don't even sign their name. I usually give their questions a brief answer if I answer at all, because they're obviously expecting their questions answered in a way that requires no effort on their part. I LOVE helping and sharing, but I don't feel equally obligated to all.

I too, use a LOT of abbreviations because it makes it easier on me when I answer the same questions over and over (FP = Foliage-Pro and MG = Miracle-Gro [fertilizers], BER = blossom end rot, while MgSO4 and CaSO4 = Epsom salts and gypsum respectively). The list of abbreviations is virtually endless. I certainly don't ever go out of my way to separate anyone from the potential benefits of any my offerings (as I'm sure Laura never intended to exclude, slight, or prohibit anyone from enjoying her photos or what she wrote) but I don't make a big effort to try to make sure everyone knows exactly what I'm referring to in every single instance either. We can't be all things to all people at all times.

Even though I try to make everything as easy to understand as possible, the reality is that when I'm talking to someone or a group that is already versed in the terminology or abbreviations being used, there will always be people, especially 'newbies', that may initially feel excluded through no fault of my own (or of Laura's).

Returning to the thought that I never try to exclude anyone from understanding all I'm saying, I nonetheless operate under the premise that it's up to anyone who feels the information might be important but unclear, to ask that the important points be clarified rather than take the provider to task for not making an effort large enough to cover every one's level of understanding.

I'm pretty sure Laura would have happily answered your questions with a smile if you'd simply asked them or sent her a private message.

Al

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

actually, what does IMO mean?

12 years ago

Geoff,

'In my opinion', although humility sometimes forces the use of IMHO.

• User
    12 years ago

I believe it's IN MY OPINION,

I've also seen & used IME = in my experience

Over time & lots of reading I've gotten familiar w/many of the more common abbreviations &/or acronyms.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

IMO...in my opinion

FWIW...for what its worth

TTFN (ta-ta for now) Gill from the UK (United Kingdom)

: )

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

To all my neighbors, you got much flavor.
    TIHWDI
    Let's flip the track, bring the old school back.
    TIHWDI

-Montell Jordan

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Land,
    Sometimes, I find myself in a similar state and use -
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    My favorite, so far is LMAO!

However, Montell, I wasn't able to find "TIHWDI". Maybe I don't want to know. ;-)
    Gail

12 years ago

Gail,

'This is how we do it'

Compliments of MC Pachycaul

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

I'm truly LMFAO right now, Jeff.
    It took me a good 5 minutes of intense Googling to find that one.
    Montell out.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for asking, I was stumped on that one too.

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Does anyone else but me see the irony in the fact that the person who does not like others to use abbreviations in their posts uses an abbreviation for his own name?

Just call me -C.

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

C,

I kind of think of you as K.

12 years ago

Christopher,

Good to see you back, and I agree, the irony is somewhat exquisite, tinged as it is with a side of hubristic joy. Hey, at least in being in the orbit of Robert's World it's not a dull moment.

hanz,

That was funny (the beat you laid down above), and Christopher's performing name is Tha Euphorbistic K.

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

LOL! I think we had a lot of fun with this thread and I want to thank you for posting it, R.
    I didn't read it as aggressive or rude but just begging for a little comedy.
    C, don't worry, I think he meant Southern Tenant Farmer's Union.

12 years ago

Robert,

Your post proves you can't play like the rest of us - there were no attacks - show me one, please, if you'd be so kind. I had suspected that you're the type to dish it out, but not able to take it, and I see I'm correct. It's a pity....For the record though, there isn't an attack, but why don't you ask someone who you like (clearly I'm not one of them) - ask their opinion. And if you can't see the excellent point raised in Christopher's post, that's also too bad. And using potty-mouth here counts against you, aside from the fact that you're going to get this post pulled, so print it while you can and use these points brought up as part of your Netiquette course which you haven't completed yet (dreadfully overdue, I think it was). Since what I've written has offended you, I'm sorry about that - I will resume my silence (or at least as much as I can) in your posts.

Christopher,

Welcome to the team that isn't.

hanz,

Thank you, thank you, and that's just what I thought, too.

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

-R

I will not stoop to your level. Do you actually WONDER why people 'attack' you? Learn some manners, and if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

-C

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I wasnt going to reply to this post because it seems that most of us do use abbreviations at some time or another.

However, it does concern me that in the original post it was pointed out that..

"IMO the best way to share your love of/appreciation for your plants is by being explicit, not by being obscure and potentially cutting someone off from sharing your enthusiasm."

I cant help but keep thinking of this and wanted to respond to you and anyone else that might be "offended" that i use abreviations, to let you know that i love to share my pictures, and share my enthusiam with my friends of my plants and trees...maybe you dont know me very well, but some of you do. I love my yard, plants and sharing my experiences with others...

When i come to these forums i am gettjing away from the hectic world that we all share every day, so when someone says that i may be obscure or "cutting someone off from sharing my enthusiam" They have no idea what we all go through on a daily basis, or what may be happening in our personal lives. I come here to feel relaxed and comfortable in knowing we all enjoy the same things...

I may not type the best...LOL and my nails may hit the wrong keys, but i know that we all know where and what we are trying to say.

I do agree that its been fun seeing all of the abbreviations and having a good chuckle from all of this..

Al, is just being truthful in the fact that we all start out not understanding some abbrevations and we dont really have to spell everything out for everybody...I remember not even knowing what DH meant..but after reading and watching others..i figured it out..."Dead Head..LOL"

(only kidding for those that dont know what DH means!!)
    Dear Husband..Dumb Husband...etc..) LOL

Chris...tks! You are just saying what u think and i certainly appreciate that!!!

We all have the right to say what we feel, and im sorry that some feel thst we ( who Abbreviate) might think that we are doing this for other reasons...that is far from the truth!

Im sorry that you do not know me, and if you did then you would know that i mean no disrepect to anyone!!!

I for one am a very enthusiatic person who loves life and loves to share with others...

So, lets all be kind to one another and quit this silly game of worring about what these abbreviations mean...

If your not sure, then ask! We would be glad to answer any questions. that is why i came over to this forum, because it seemed friendly at the time....

Whatever the abbrev meant for Chris.. im sorry that i caused this to esculate into something that may not be very kind....lets hope the Hanzrobo is right!!! LOL

"Southern Tenant Farmers's Union" is the right quote...or maybe lol since i'm from the south...it's "Southern treasures Fired Up!!!"

I guess ill go and visit another forum where i can relax...

See ya!!

Laura in VB ( Virginia Beach)

• land3499
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 20:27

>Your post proves you can't play like the rest of us

No, it proves that no matter how many constructive posts and no matter how much I try to be helpful in this forum, y'all will continue to attack & make fun of me for my past sins, which I've apologized profusely for.

This post had...HAD...nothing to do with me. So why did kaktuskris decide to turn it around and mock me? And why did you feel a need to follow his lead?

>being in the orbit of Robert's World it's not a dull moment.

Gee, no sarcasm there.

>use these points brought up as part of your Netiquette course

Feel free to use them as part of your Get Over It course.

-R

12 years ago

Robert,

Your pomposity needs us to keep it in check. Hey, we're here to provide a public service, and we appreciate the business.

• land3499
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 21:01

>Your pomposity needs us to keep it in check.

You're absolutely right.

PSWISHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That was to sound of all my pomposity flying away.

So now can we please just start over? I've been a pretty nice guy lately, but I'm tired of defending myself, and when baited, will take the bait.

DO NOT FEED OR POKE THE -R

:)

-R

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Kaktuskris was not 'mocking' anything or anyone, though it would not be out of bounds if he had, for such arrogance deserves reproach.

-C

• land3499
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>Posted by kaktuskris 5 (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 21:38

>Kaktuskris was not 'mocking' anything or anyone, though it would not be out of bounds if he had, for such arrogance deserves reproach.

*sigh*

Robert (since we're apparently talking about ourselves in the third person now) will not take that bait. Better luck next time.

-R

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Laura:

In case you looking on, just to let you know I know you well and you are one of the nicest people around here. If it weren't for people like you, I too would find some of the forums a bit hostile and much too serious, but thank goodness many of us feel as you do and come for a break away form our problems and to have fun.

You add flavor to every forum I go to.I LOVE your posts and they way they are presented.You have been kind and generous and have many good friends around these parts.
    I know what you have been through and I wish you all the goodness that you deserve. You are in our prayers always. Your enthusiasm, zest for life, and the plants that you so thoughtfully share in a wonderful sprit of happiness with us here is contagious. A good thing.

You are loved my Mom and I and many others here. It is a great place to come to for the most part. YPMAS!

Mike:-)

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

I believe a reset is not out of the question, especially when one asks, especially when no one was injured (physically).
    I recognize humility. Let's not forget what we do here.

• amanzed
    12 years ago

Oh my... I have to say, I think Robert's right: it's better style -- clearer writing -- to take a moment to spell out your abbreviations whenever in doubt. I do. And Robert does too.

Signing his name "-R" is a very common way to sign informal electronic communication, carried over from a long tradition of handwritten notes, diaries, and letters. Robert has not hidden his name. So... forgive me... but it is snarky and hostile to call his stylistic request "ironic" merely because he signs his name "-R". This is tantamount to calling him a hypocrite. Maybe you feel he deserves this treatment... regardless, this is not a cool-headed, neutral way to prolong the conversation.

I think it's reasonable in a mixed forum to politely request that folks spell out "Dear Hubby". Otherwise, not only do I doubt my interpretation of "DH", but I feel alienated by the assumption that this is a women's gardening group (although, tangentially, I am one of those males who happens to have a Dear Hubby).

I don't think Robert worded his request as a personal criticism or attack, but rather as a stylistic request. It was a little blunt but entirely reasonable.

Can I make a request in turn... that we try to let go of past offenses and march forward with dispassionate despatch? Except for the passion for our plants? Can we try to regain a sense of humor?

12 years ago

I'm resetting to default, Robert, and again welcome your posts, but Dean's request to be dispassionate about these things...hmmm, IDKAT (I don't know about that) = if we're not passionate about TPOO (These Plants of Ours), we wouldn't be here, NCP (n'est-ce pas)?.

Dean,

Great word! You do mean #1, yes?

despatch
    - 3 dictionary results
    des�patch
    â âÂÂ[dih-spach] Show IPA
    �verb (used with object), verb (used without object), noun
    dispatch.
    Use despatch in a Sentence
    �Related forms
    out�des�patch, verb (used with object)
    un�des�patched, adjective
    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, � Random House, Inc. 2011.
    Cite This Source
    : Link To despatch
    Explore the Visual Thesaurus �
    Related Words for : despatch
    communique, dispatch, send off, expedition, expeditiousness
    View more related words �

World English Dictionary
    despatch (dêÃÂsp�tÃÂ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
    � vb
    ( tr ) a less common spelling of dispatch
    des'patcher
    � n

dispatch or despatch (dêÃÂsp�tÃÂ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
    � vb
    1. to send off promptly, as to a destination or to perform a task
    2. to discharge or complete (a task, duty, etc) promptly
    3. informal to eat up quickly
    4. to murder or execute
    � n
    5. the act of sending off a letter, messenger, etc
    6. prompt action or speed (often in the phrase with dispatch )
    7. an official communication or report, sent in haste
    8. journalism a report sent to a newspaper, etc, by a correspondent
    9. murder or execution

Here is a link that might be useful: Despatch

• amanzed
    12 years ago

Oh, passion about the plants, surely. That's what I meant by "... dispassionate... Except for the passion for our plants."

But less passion about settling scores and righting others' wrongs. We all feel that drive... I feel it strongly!... but it's not helpful here. It's better... more attractive!... to step back and have a chuckle at our petty conflicts. That's what I mean by regaining our sense of humor.

Yes! In this case: despatch -- n. alternate spelling of 'dispatch', efficiency, expeditiousness

[And yes, I know that commas go inside the quotes in the USA, but in informal writing, I'm a orthography insurgent.]

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

I do agree it is time to reset, but I must contend that mentioning irony was not meant to offend, only enlighten, FWIW. And the fact I admire -R's considerable knowledge of Euphorbia should prove that out.

-C

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

OMG lol, Lmfao UnI b BFF!.

• amanzed
    12 years ago

kaktuskris: That's cool, explanations and clarifications welcome!

That's the hazard of layered, shaded, or multi-level writing styles: irony, light sarcasm, snark... even humor-when-written-while-annoyed. (Resentment finds a way to seep through the words.) It's easy for readers to take these badly.

At the risk of coming across like I'm telling others how to write: even criticism is easier to swallow if it's phrased as one's reaction rather than a direct characterization... or cushioned in any of a dozen other ways.

This discipline rankles some writers. It's my impression they consider it coddling. But... well... like my growing mix which is mostly pumice, perlite, or other aggregate...

It works for me.
    --
    dean aka DC

• bellpepperguy
    12 years ago

Definition for internet troll:In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, , or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response.

or

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Just sayin :)

P.S. I love this forum and all the plant based knowledge it provides

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

So I take it texting lingo wouldn't go over too well?

JoJo

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Abbr.? NIMBY!