SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keeval_gw

Mazus Reptans - OK as lawn replacement in the Triangle?

keeval
12 years ago

I have a strip of lawn, bordered on one side by the driveway and on the other, by my neighbor's fescue lawn. At the mailbox end is a small garden. The other end runs alongside the house (north side) and is mostly shade. I want to replace the grass with groundcover. I plan to use Corsican Mint in the shady area, where we will put in a stone path that leads to the back yard.

For the front portion of lawn, which I'm guesstimating is about 25 ft. long by about 4 ft. wide, I'd like to find a groundcover that is evergreen, not invasive and will tolerate some foot traffic (though not a lot). It gets partial to full sun. I'm considering Mazus Reptans (maybe the Alba). I should note that I also seriously considered various Thymes, but don't want to attract the bees...kids and dogs are a consideration.

Will this work well for my needs? I read somewhere that Mazus Reptans may need to be protected from afternoon sun in this area. Is the heat and humidity of our summers too much for it? I'd love to hear from people who are growing it successfully in this area, especially under similar conditions. I've researched a lot of groundcovers, and so far, this one seems to be my best choice.

This will be my first time trying groundcover, and I am anxious to get started. Thanks in advance for all help and advice!

Comments (15)