SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

oops, duhs, huhs, ughs, good, bad and ugly

kimcoco
14 years ago

Lets discuss plants, gardening, anything related. Experienced and novice gardeners alike. I consider myself an advanced beginner in the gardening world. I always like reading others feedback on their gardening experiences, plant choices, combinations, likes, dislikes, plant temperament, etc. I LOVE working in my yard, and discussing anything garden related.

I had my morning coffee on my patio, enjoying my yard, thinking about what I'd like to change and the choices I'm happy with. I thought I'd share for those interested in listening.

My FAVORITES:

Sweet William Dianthus 'Heart Attack' - the red blooms on this plant are the most stunning red I've seen. BEAUTIFUL.

Amsonia Hubrechti with Bergenia Bressingham Ruby. I LOVE the texture of my Amsonia, and the fall color combos are stunning.

Iris with lemonbalm planted at the base. I have to get my hands on the yellow variety of lemonbalm, 'All Gold'

Astilbes in groups of 3. Red Fanal. Great flower plumes, nice foliage as well.

Hydrangea Annabelle - beautiful

Coreopsis Zagreb (Stunner! I shear this one back after the first flush of blooms for more blooms later in the season) with short daylilies planted in front of it.

Euonymous Emerald N Gold - nice yellow shrub, easy to trim to shape.

Veronica Royal Candles - love it.

Brunnera Jack Frost with Japanese painted fern (though these are picky for me), with purple heuchera.

Clematis - beautiful climbers. Wouldn't give them up for the world.

Euphorbia Polychroma - I forgot to trim it back after the blooms in spring, but this one is a stunner. Beautiful.

Nepeta is the perfect underplanting for my favorite rose bush, William Baffin - which has TONS of blooms btw.

Lamium Silver Beacon - I know you have to watch this one or it will spread, but I have it planted in an area confined by driveway and concrete walk, underplanting a red japanese maple. I love it. It blooms all season for me, but it pops up occasionally in other areas of my yard, easy enough to yank.

Bleeding Hearts - these do best on a north facing wall. Picky for me though. It tends to yellow with the slightest watering, but it goes dormant in drought conditions. My neighbor gets to enjoy the blooms.

I knew coffee grounds are good for plants, but recently learns that slugs won't slither through the grounds. Good to know.

Artemisia Silver Brocade - I wasn't sure what to do with this at first, but it's growing intermingled with my darker ajuga, I like the combo. I also see bits of this popping up in other areas of my yard.

Cerastium Tormentos 'Snow in Summer' - didn't like it at first, but give it time, very pretty as a spreading groundcover loaded with white flowers in spring. I'm going to be interplanting this with Soapwort 'Saponaria Ocymoides, Rubra Compacta' This does very well in a dry spot for me.

Another shrub I like, this one grows into a tree form, is Grace Smokebush. BEAUTIFUL smoky plumes. Stunner. (yeah, I know this is the perennial forum, forgive me for being off topic).

MISFORTUNES:

My climber roses, supposedly hardy to my zone, in spite of my best efforts, died back to the ground this winter. Never should have listened to the nursery, the advice on this forum was dead on.

My rose shrub from Menards was supposed to be yellow and orange bloom. It's pastel pink, I dislike pastels in my garden.

Bachelor Buttons - stunner for a few months, then quite fugly. Interplant with something that will hide it later in the season, and cut it back. Nice chartreuse foliage and pretty contrasting cobalt blue? flowers earlier in the season though.

Other let downs:

Lady's Mantle, ('Alchemilla Alpina', not the common 'Mollis' variety). I planted last year, it's a smaller variety, but no larger than when I purchased it last year, I guess I expected more. They border a lannonstone walkway, small, cute but I wouldn't use this for effect as a border plant. They look best intermingled with other plants. The nice thing is they self sow(?)... I see little babies popping up.

Spirea Neon Flash (shrub), PROS: blooms well in shady areas, a pretty 'POP' of a bright dark pink, contrasts well against a lighter backdrop. CONS: Grows spindly in shade even when cut back in early spring, not a compact shrub like internet pics. Better with more sun perhaps.

I miss my Weigela Wine & Roses. Didn't do much the first two years, but the third year the blooms were floriferous. Due to a remodeled porch, it had to go.

Our new dog likes to tug at my plants, tear leaves and flowers off and run around the yard with them. My baby boxwood is down to one stem due to her tumbling, and her urine causes brown spots all over our lawn, though never a problem w/our male dogs. Still, I love her to pieces.

Oops:

I underwatered my Japanese Maple, losing browning leaves. Darn it.

Poor drainage around my iris. One already gone due to root rot. Darn.

DUH:

Cut back the leaves on my Bergenia this spring, along with some of the flower stalks. Won't do that next year, I lost some nice blooms.

HUH?

Loraine Sunshine Heliopsis - usually a stunner, but slow to get moving this year. Lack of water?

Campanula Dicksons Gold - doesn't do well for me, maybe not enough sun?

Rhododendron still didn't bloom. 2nd year.

Dianthus don't transplant well for me. They survive but look spindly. Untouched, they have nice blooms. I think I overwater mine.

Asters not doing well. Not impressed. Not enough sun or water. Not sure.

Other Campanulas, read there's no other border plant that can compare, or was it Iberis Sempervirens? Not sure, but neither did well for me. Of the campanulas, one of three looks so-so.

Sedum Autumn Joy - I love these, I have a combo of three, but I am struggling with where to fit them in, in my small yard.

Artemisia Silver Mound - can't make up my mind if I like this one or not. For now, it stays. I sheared it back, started to get floppy as it grew.

GAVE UP:

Monarda fireball - mildew, poor growth, no blooms. Didn't survive.

Wood chip mulch. Going back to shredded or compost.

Ajuga Chocolate Chip did not survive the winter. I'm trying Gaiety and Black Scallop this year. Otherwise, I've heard Bronze Beauty does ok for others in my zone.

Peonies. Loaded with ants, blooms last one day and topple over, foliage is beautiful, but not worth the effort in my small yard.

Mazus Reptans Alba - I purchased a bunch of these last year, planted them all over my yard. Never again. Most didn't surive the winter, the one that did grew like a tall grass for me, not sure why. Do not recommend for zone 5. My Blue Star Creeper survived the winter well, this is another groundcover, though I really wouldn't consider it a groundcover per se, it's tiny, and hasn't grown much. Cute though.

LOOKING FORWARD TO:

Delosperma Cooperi - so far so good, not established yet

Angelina Sedum, I'm hoping this will be a nice contrast against my Pygmy barberries, lining my lannonstone walkway.

Too much caffeine perhaps? LOL

Comments (30)