SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Overwhelmed/Meltdown/Bad Choices--Please Help me make it all work

ladyamity
13 years ago

I was here early last month (I can't seem to find my original post) asking for help with kitchen cabinet configuration.

Short Background:

What started out as a leak coming from the dishwasher (we thought!) ended up being a rotted cast iron drain pipe UNDER our cement foundation.

Water had been wicking up the walls, into the back of the kitchen cabinets, under the top layer of ceramic floor tile which loosened the 2 layers below-bottom layer being asbestos floor tile.

This began January 22, 2010. After a lengthy fight with the Homeowner's Insurance Company, they finally sent out a professional crew to inspect what was damaged.

That crew sent in a report that the water had been leaking longer than two weeks.

Because of that, Homeowner's Insurance wouldn't pay for anything as they don't cover ANY damage that had continued past a two week span.

Homeowner's Insurance did pay for the professional crew. And since the Pro Crew turned in it's report about finding mold and mildew, HO Insurance paid for a profess. crew to come out and remove the asbestos tile and another crew to remove the mold/mildew walls.

The original crew removed/demolished the original kit. cabinets, breaking my kitchen sink in the process.

They told me they were taking the sink to be repaired. Two months later and nobody knew what happened to my sink.

FINALLY, my husband followed a trail and the Franchise owner of the first crew told him the sink wasn't able to be repaired so they just chucked it.

How dare them not let me know.....we could have tried taking it somewhere to be repaired!

So the fight began between HO insurance and first crew as to who was going to pay for the sink.

We ended up not receiving a check for the drywall and tile floor until March.

We wiped out our savings paying for the plumber to jack-hammer through the cement to find not one, but 5 different areas where the pipe was rusted through.

This meant the trench in the kitchen had to go into, and then all the way through the middle of the dining room.

Plumbers jack-hammer. They do NOT repair/replace the cement.

The savings account also paid for the TWO Electricians to come and fix two of the cut circuits that the original crew damaged but didn't tell us about.

Since the check had already been deposited/cashed, HO insurance wouldn't pay for the electrical stuff.

Getting the original crew to answer their phone/return our calls to pay for the electrical stuff they damaged was not happening.

When we started the repair we found lots of old wiring, bad wire jobs inside the walls so the Electrician was well worth what we paid.

All in all, this has been a nightmare.

I have elderly parents (neither in good health) living with me and this months-long ordeal has been so traumatic for them.

All this history to say that I didn't have the luxury of 'planning' a new kitchen.

I didn't get to do lots of research, shop tile stores with their aisles and aisles of beautiful tile selections.

I didn't get to save up for this kitchen re-do/repair....no loan to pay back over time.

After the plumber and electrician, and paying for all the drywall, cement, etc. we hit Craigs List for as much as we could find to put our kitchen back together.

Between a few unexpected health issues with my parents and one for myself, a wedding, a death in the family and a few other issues involving a couple of my adult children, I'm afraid I had kitchen-choices-meltdown.

I think I was agreeing to things I would never have picked if I had other means/choices, just to get the process over with.

Over this past 3-day weekend I found myself nodding my head 'yes', just so we could get back home and get started on the kitchen.

Tuesday I walked around looking at all the choices that are piled in our dining room and asking myself "What was I thinking!!!???!!!"

I have so many specific questions but first I thought I let you all see the mess I've made and hopefully one or a few of you can PLEASE help me make all this 'stuff' work together?

Remember:

1. Very modest home in very old tract in Southern Calif.

2. Most choices for the kitchen revolved around making it safe/usable (ie; extra texture for the floor/sliding tray drawers for pantry/raised dishwasher) for my parents.

3. Very limited funds, in fact the Back Splash will have to wait until...well, a few more paydays.

4. All work, except Plumber and Electrician is DIY.

(Did I already mention how I HATE sanding drywall?)

5. My only 'splurge' will be the woven blinds for the windows (30% off coupon). I have tons of fabric but I just don't have it in me to pull out the machine and whip up panels.

Did I mention 'melt-down'?

6. The Craigs List cabinets didn't come with enough wall cabs. We are a blank when it comes to what to do on each side of the pass-through.

7. No rush on the back splash for two main reasons: 1. Finances. 2. No need for anything fancy or focal-point because our counters are always full of 'stuff' that my parents need frequently. A pretty back splash will just be covered by all the 'stuff' in front of it.

The whole sordid story is in my PhotoBucket album....some pics are out of order, sorry.

The items being used in the repaired kitchen are on page 4.

Ask any questions you feel might help you, to help me make it all work together.

A very heart-felt Thank You to all of you who took time out of your day to weather through this post.

And a very special Thank You to Buehl for setting up a graph diagram, enabling us to see exactly what we had to work with, how much space, the amount of cabinets we needed to be looking for and the fact our original measurements were wrong....once I corrected that, it made searching for the correct amount of cabinets much easier.

These are our cabinets in someone else's kitchen (Craigs List).

One of those situations where I just 'nodded' in agreement to Mr.Amity's paint choice.

Again..What was I thinking???!!!

Shows paint in 3 different lightings....bright with natural morning sunshine, shadowed, more shadowed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Water Damage/Repairing

Comments (22)