SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Pineapples in Bay Area (mid-peninsula)

homey_bird
11 years ago

Hi all,

Hope everyone's Fall garden is coming along well! This summer I decided to try out growing pineapple from its crown. I have four of them growing now with roots formed well.

Winter is approaching and I thought I'd check how to deal with the plants in winter. My plants are sitting in a large planter under the eaves of my house. They will not get direct frost but might still get lots of cold air. The temperatures around here rarely go below freezing, but cold rain water during storms could fall on the plants.

So I thought, I'd check with folks here, have you grown one in/around the peninsula? Did your pineapple hibernate and wake up outside or did you have to actually bring it indoors? Were you able to get it to fruit?

Checked some online resources : Sunset magazine has an article but seems to be aimed at SoCal gardeners. CRFG site makes a brief mention that pineapple "will usually tolerate brief exposures to 28� F. Prolonged cold above freezing retards growth, delays maturity and causes the fruit to be more acid. " Can someone share their experience with Pineapple in winter?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)