SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geminimuse78

cultural issue with jade..old jade

GeminiMuse78
12 years ago

Hi, I've been growing Jade (Crassula) since I have been about 18 (I'm 33) and I haven't had any major problems with them except for accidentally leaving a few outside in 105 degree TX. It was around that time that I started trying to learn as much as I could so I wouldn't "assume" anything about my new obsession.

I've always kept my Jade plants on the dry side, in bright filtered light and in a sand/grit/soil mix and have had excellent growth & absolutely no problems.

There's a reputable greenhouse/nursery down the road from me and I visit frequently. Since I first started going about 5 years ago, I noticed several massive Jade plants shoved in a corner with a bunch of aeonium. All plants were thriving and healthy, but there wasn't ever a price tag nor cuttings for sale.

Well, yesterday I asked if I could purchase a Jade cutting from the largest of the Jade plants in the corner. The owner quoted me a price of $9.00 and said that I could "take my pick". So for that price, I planned to take a large piece and make as many new plants as possible.

The next thing I know, one of the employees was following me back and when I showed him the plant I wanted to cut from, he got another guy and they proceeded to move the ENTIRE plant to the front counter. I stopped them, assuming there was a mistake, but the owner clarified that "12 inch pots are all 9 dollars", I was stunned and thrilled at the same time. This plant is in a 12" pot, but it's almost 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide- I never would have thought it was for sale. OK, thanks dude! So, I safely transported it home in my big ol' truck. Once the giddiness wore off, I started looking over my new friend.

The first thing I noticed was that the entire surface of the soil was covered in a thick, blooming layer of moss (very pretty though!) and that the soil was SOAKED. I started thinking about the conditions of it's previous location and it dawned on me that this plant was THRIVING in all of the "WRONG", lol, conditions for a Jade. It was in a dark corner, soaked and sitting in a plastic pot in what appears to be a heavy peat mix (another no-no from what I've read). This plant has not been moved for at least the 5 years that I've been eyeing it and when we did move it, the bottom of the plastic pot was stuck to the floor and broke off. The trunk is about 8" in diameter and all of the leaves are beautiful, many of them are huge clusters of cream, the rest are green, cream and a light purple.

My concern is that I'm afraid that by moving it from it's unique happy home that I may kill it because I just can't mimic the same environment. Actually, I could probably mimic it by putting it in an inch of water in the bathtub and leaving the door open so that light from the room next door MIGHT get in there. Seriously, that's how it was growing.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice on how I can or should handle this. Maybe it will just drop a few leaves and get situated in my home? I've already checked out the roots, they're perfect. I put it in a clay pot (same size to cause the least amount of disruption possible) and gave it some sand and a bit of new soil, but not much. It's sitting about 3 feet from a south-facing window (floor to ceiling glass) behind the rest of my succulents. I don't want to lose this amazing gift and want to avoid as much of a shock as possible.

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to estimate the age of a Jade? Maybe basing it off of the trunk size? Thanks!

Comments (6)