SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krista_shaffer

The culture of growing under lights year round

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered. I've been sifting through old threads but haven't found one that seems to answer my questions.

----------------------------------------------

Some context: I recently (Mid October) put my collection under T8 lights, which are 4100k. They get 11 hours of light a day; from December-January they were getting 10. I plan on gradually increasing the light length to 14 hours, as it would naturally occur. I plan on adding another set up soon with 6500k bulbs for some plants that would benefit from stronger light.

Right now the temps are about 68F, in the summer I expect it to rise to around 80F, but not 100% sure since I have recently moved into this house. The humidity is 34% currently.

----------------------------------------------

For those of you that do grow under lights year round, do you find that your plants still cycle through their natural dormancy/growing periods?

I stopped watering my cactuses in November and have started to water them sparingly to "wake them up"--I don't know if this "dormancy" was truly necessary.

Everything else has been putting out new growth. I'm not sure if the growth rate will increase once temps and light exposure increase?

I plant on repotting/prunning some things and wanted to know if you followed the growing period guidelines: repot "summer growers" in March and "winter growers" in August. It seems as though there is some overlap, as most plants experience growing periods in the spring and autumn.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome!

Comments (14)