SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilano

Bees or wasps living in ground in garden??

marilano
16 years ago

I live in northern California, and I recently discovered (in mid-August) a ground nest or hive of either bees or wasps (or possibly yellow jackets) in my backyard garden. There's a small hole in the ground between an impatiens and a daylily; the insects fly out when I water that area of the yard. They seem to go straight for my hair--which is scary--although I haven't been stung yet. I seem to have more of these bees or wasps flying around every time I water--from a few when I first noticed them to more than a dozen this week. I'm not sure if they're bees--which I definitely wouldn't want to kill given the bee shortage--or wasps, or yellow jackets. They aren't very big--about 1/2 inch long. Does anyone have any ideas about what species they might be and whether it would be safe or risky to dig up the hole in an effort to get them to move elsewhere? If they're wasps (or hornets or yellowjackets), I'd like to get rid of them with an environmentally safe method. TIA for any replies. marilano

Comments (5)