SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banker74

Seeking help for drought tolerant / mediterranean-esque strip

banker74
13 years ago

We recently painted our house and I severely cut back a hedge to ensure the painter had enough access. Afterward the area that already looked bad looked really bad. An example of before is here:

{{gwi:551132}}

The location is on the back side of the house in the Santa Ana/North Tustin part of Orange County facing southwest (can't recall my Sunset Zone but my zip is 92705).

Most of the 20-foot strip gets full sun during the warmest part of the day, however the very end gets some shade from the pergola. I'm looking to have a simple strip of plants, but with some height (at least in parts) to balance the large white flat wall. The two plants I've been thinking about most are flax & kangaroo paw, but I'm really here for some suggestions from all of you experts. Here is what I'm working with now.

{{gwi:551135}}

{{gwi:551138}}

Nevermind the agapanthas in the picture - it will be transplanted elsewhere. Irrigation will be a drip system running off the sprinkler system/timer. The only other point I'll make is there is a hedge on the other side (seen most visibly in the final picture) that will eventually come out and I'll look to do something that sort of matches in that area (though that area is about four feet wide vs. the 1.5-2 feet I'm working with now).

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/pictures!!!

P.S. I really wanted to hire a pro but my wife nixed that idea...

Comments (5)