SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Need more help - Choosing sun/rain cover for deck

peachymomo
11 years ago

I'm back for more advice, hope you're not getting tired of me!

This is the area in question:

{{gwi:549468}}

My bf and I are stalled on our next project because we can't decide what to use for our deck cover. The back side of the house is west facing, and gets very hot from about 2pm - 6pm during the summer. We would like shade in the summer, but also something to keep the rain off for the winter. Because he is good with carpentry my bf is planning on building a pergola as the base, and then putting some sort of roof on top to provide the rain cover and extra shade.

The deck is 18' x 18' so we're thinking of making the cover 20' x 20' so it can overlap on all sides, the plan is for it to be about 6" higher on the house side for drainage. Because it will be so large I'm concerned that an entirely opaque roof (like corrugated metal) would make the area feel too dark, especially in the winter. But my bf doesn't like any of the other options, we've looked at all sorts of polycarbonate panels and just can't bring ourselves to buy any.

Could awning fabric provide the protection we need from rain? I like the idea of something that keeps the rain off but lets some light through.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)