SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Does this astilbe need more sun, or less?

16 years ago

I have about 10 pots of Astilbe White Gloria, waiting to go in the garden. They were purchased earlier this year from Bluestone and repotted into nursery size pots. Seven are behind my garage on a shelf about 3' off the ground. These get late afternoon, scorching hot sun (faces West). Some of them also dried out to the point of wilting on a 100 degree day when I forgot to water them. But they rebounded just fine, and they flowered and all are beautiful and thick, a lush dark green.

The other three are about 20 feet away in an area not blocked by the garage, but under some birch trees (in pots, same as the others). They get some earlier morning sun and then some later afternoon sun which is dappled due to the trees. I'd say more overall hours of sun, but less of the intense sun the others get.

Those three bloomed, but the foliage is not as abundant and looks really bad. It is a much lighter green with some gold. To me they look burned. DH insists they need MORE sun and that the light color is indicative of a lack of chlorophyl. Since he is science guy and I am not, he thinks he's right. I think I'm right since astilbe are supposed to tolerate shade, how can they need more sun?

We also disagree about how much sun each respective spot gets. Either way, I need to figure out what is wrong with these plants because I need to plant them soon. If they are burned then I need to find a shadier spot for them than I planned. If they are actually in need of more sun I guess I'll look for a spot with that intense afternoon sun spot #1 gets.

What do you think? Any help is appreciated.

p.s. they go the same fertilizer (just some Miracle Grow pellets in the soil), same soil and same water (the ones that dried out probably did so because they are elevated and get less rain up near the house).

Comments (7)