SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
six50joe15

Need help to make screen porch and deck more inviting

Joe Thomas
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to GardenWeb, and this is my first post. We have a vacation home in a rustic area whose dining area is adjacent to sliding doors that go to the outside deck on its broad side, and to a screened in outdoor room at the end, which my guess right now is about 10' x 12'.

My father had designed and co-built the house in the late 80s, and the screened in porch is, I think, one of the best features of it. The problem: it is has been very under used over the years. We've tried using it as an outdoor dining area with a round table and 4 chairs, and more recently as a cocktail area with a pub-type high table.

The outdoor deck (also accessible via the screen room) gets use a little bit more, but mostly by my wife and our toddlers.

The kitchen is adjacent to the dining area. These two areas are by far the most trafficked part of the house.

When we have family and other guests over, people always congregate at the dining area. When having a conversation with someone in the kitchen, who often is preparing food, this is natural. However, people tend to stay in the dining area even when this is not the case, even when the weather is gorgeous outside. On evenings, the screen room has soft, dim lighting. The deck is illuminated by flood lights.

We've been ready to spend some money on the right furniture, decor and lighting for the screen room and deck for a while now, but have been afraid of not getting it right. We want the screen room to say 'come on in' at all times of the day and evening, and the deck to be just as inviting, especially when we have larger groups over. We're open as to function (dining versus lounging) in both areas. The floor plan doesn't give us the option of moving the dining area to another part of the house, so it would have to stay where it is.

Insight from those of you with great decorating instincts is greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How much money are we talking here? :-) I'm going to take the billionaire approach.

If it's sky's-the-limit, I'd see about knocking that wall between the porch and the dining room down and opening up that entire area, then putting a full bank of doors w/screens along the entire deck. I'd even extend the interior outward by a few feet.

I'd take the carpet and tile up and put down a rustic wood floor.

Joe Thomas thanked tibbrix
  • Related Discussions

need help in getting to goal for screened porch

Q

Comments (7)
    CArol;, you answer your own question. If the floor flexes, it is not a suitable surface. As well, I will say that you should go thru this section and read some of the posts about waterproofing a ceiling/roof on a porch or deck. It is not an easy matter and must be thoroughly with the right products. OSB and tile are not going to do it and you will have leaks, dry rot, mold and mildew pretty quickly. You need a sealed membrane and something on top of that which can breath and be accessible. I did mine with a rubber roofing material over sleepers and then supported the mahogany 1x4 decking off the sleepers. I made the 1x4 into "pallets" that I could lift off should repairs be needed. In 18 years I did not have a problem, but one day the subsequent owners will. By the time I was done I whole thing was 7" off the top of the ceiling joists. There are a lot of ways to do this, but I think you need to research this carefully.
    ...See More

Screened Porch/Deck Questions

Q

Comments (2)
    I had the same deliema, our bay window had vinyl siding on it and when we screened in the porch I didnt want to replace the siding, so we put 1x4 tongue and groove and it looks great!!! It make it feel like an interior wall now. You can see a picture of it in the posting (Screened in porch finally finished) its the one with the ceiling fan, the back wall is what had siding on it. We painted it a light green and I am very happy with the out come.
    ...See More

What color on my new home to make more inviting and warm?

Q

Comments (10)
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/custom-homes-rustic-exterior-dallas-phvw-vp~53922691 I agree the shutters do not enhance anything and need to go. Do you have the budget to add some stone to add character? Even if you did a veneer of stone under the porch railing, it would help to add warmth and charm. I would box out the traditional posts with rustic wood. Given the new roof color I would paint the body of the house a darker shade of sage green or a deep cornflower blue. Check out Benjamin Moore Avon Green HC 126 and Sea Pine AC 17. Happy retirement in your new life!!!
    ...See More

Need exterior stain/paint help with lakeview screened in porch!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would leave the white as is plus add white to the stairs so the whole bottom half of the house is white trim. If the view is better with grey on the inside, do grey on the inside. Also maybe gray on the middle area where I see in the photo it is “wood color”.
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

My parents have almost that exact layout in their house.

The screened porch gets a fair bit of use and they have it set up with a wicker love seat, coffee table, and a chair, plus a side table to hold drinks trays and such and a cupboard for storage. The space feels cozy and the seating is very comfortable.

The back deck gets much less use by people--it is smaller than yours. They have the grill out there and two comfortable chairs. And they have bird feeders. They have woods behind them and draw a lot of different birds, which they can watch through the windows.

• Joe Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@tibbrix: Knocking down the wall and extending, strikes me right now as a little scary. We've had a few occasions in the past where scary ideas start to make more sense over time, so we'll let the idea simmer in for a while and see if that happens this time (and can be done within a budget we can handle).
    We've been talking about putting in wood floors for a long while now (the rug is very, very old), so it's just a matter doing it at this point.
    @missymoo: re: sofas and coffee table in the screen room. My wife suggested this repeatedly, but I've resisted. I'm outnumbered now and am beginning to relent :)

• jab65
    9 years ago

I agree w/missy. That would be a great spot to sit and read or just enjoy your beautiful view w/out the bugs. If that bar set is teak, it weathers pretty well, but I'd put a good wax on it. Don't know where you live. Is that room heated? If so, that would be my favorite room.

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

We have a screened porch and a " deckette" ( just big enough for the grill) :)

We practically live on our screened porch! We have a 60in round table with 4 chairs. We eat our meals there all summer long. There is also a wicker set....settee, chaise, rocker, regular chair and ottoman, small side tables, etc. We have a ceiling fan, outdoor table lamp, area rugs on the painted wood floor.

We have a wooded setting and a decorative pond/stream. People are drawn to the porch. When entertaining, everyone stays on the porch or goes outside. You will find the same to be true when you make the porch more inviting.

Our children were toddlers when we built this house. It was a great place for them to play " outdoors".

• Yayagal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have a screened in porch in our lake house and we keep it very casual and comfy. I think upholstered chairs and a sofa are the most comfy way to go, indoor outdoor if you like them. We put four Dutailier rockers and they form a little circle around a coffee table. I also have a sofa and two chairs. People are nuts about them. People love to rock on a comfy chair. The secret is comfortable chairs. Lots of people think of wicker on a porch and I was one of them did the whole thing in a charming wicker (old) look and was never comfortable as I didn't like the feeling of wicker on my arms, I prefer soft so I sold it all and did it right. We also put wooden blinds up for when the sun is too strong. We have Douglas fir floors and I had them coat it with boat varnish so it's water proof.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am in love with screen porches! I would definitely go with the comfy seating.

I would not incorporate the screen porch into the house because they serve a very different purpose than an indoor space and allow you to spend time "outside" at your vacation home in the worst of weather and bugs.

I would squeeze as much seating as possible in there though! So although I agree with "as comfy as possible" I wouldn't use OVERSIZE upholstered pieces so much as moderate or apartment size pieces.

I would also be tempted to throw a couple of poufs in there that could be used either as footstools when there are just a few adults hanging out, or as seating for kids for games night.

Some photos that struck me

• User
    9 years ago

Agree with Missymoo's recommendations completely. And at a party put the bar out there......no more people congregating in the kitchen.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

While 'deep seating' is all the rage with current indoor-outdoor living, please be aware of the disadvantages. If you live in the dry west, where rainfall is scant, there may be no problems.

However, my family all live in the Mid-west, where rainfall happens spring/summer/fall. Rain is often accompanied by wind, and even with screening, you may well end up with soaked cushions! Be mindful of the direction of prevailing wind. I have friends and neighbors who must regularly remove cushions and stack them close to the house whenever inclement weather is on the horizon. This effort can get old very quickly.

The issue is minimized with some of the HUGE covered patios with fireplace/kitchen/etc often pictured in photos, but in the real world, those deep cushions take a long while to dry... no matter what the ads state!

• Joe Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your perspectives. Our home is in the Adirondacks. Wind and rain has never been a problem in the screen room, but we can get cold, harsh winters. While we were there just this past February it had gone down to 18F below zero at one point. I'm sure that's not a problem for outdoor sofas and chairs, but after a winter storm we can get a few feet of snow on the deck. I shovel it first chance I get since I'm not sure if the extra weight can compromise it over time. Perhaps not but I don't take the chance. For that reason I'm a little hesitant to get very bulky or heavy deck furniture that would be a hassle to move during season changes. I'd imagine though there are a lot of options?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I shovel around my furniture but also take the cushions in when not in use.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My deck sank a bit this winter from the weight of the snow! Thankfully, it's ground level.

I would keep the deck furniture light. Sling is great stuff. Comfortable, dries quickly, stackable, easy to move….

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think what would invite me into that room would be to have nothing in the middle of the room. It's so small that I think I'd do built in seating along the far wall - opposite the dining room sliders, wrapping as far as possible around the other two walls. People can sit or lounge or even sleep there. Have stackable moveable tables to use as needed for placing drinks or food - keep it casual. Maybe have some other seating, settee or rocker to the right as you enter, if there is room.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

We have six rocking chairs on our porch, and guests always head straight for them. We also have a wicker couch and chair, but they don't get used as much. The rocking chairs have been an excellent investment. I think people flock to sturdy, comfortable furniture. A circle of rockers with a cocktail table in the center would be very nice in your screened room.

Your pub table would be better out on the deck. A couple of gliders would be great for sitting and taking in the view, and maybe a kid-sized table for your little ones. A big umbrella for some shade, some strings of outdoor lights on the railing, and some planters full of flowers would all make it more inviting.

For the winter, just scoot it all up next to the outside wall of the house, and cover it with a tied down tarp.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

First, you are so luck to have such a wonderful getaway vacation home! It is on a beautiful lot.

I agree with missymoo as well, and also what Olychick said. Something about that table smack dab in the middle of the room seems to block entry into the screened porch. I love the idea of a sofa against the wall, something like what robo posted with some comfy cushions and arms, and a chair for reading with a footstool that could also double as an extra seat. Add a small cocktail table you can also use for a tray of snack food. The bar cart is also a great idea. Encourages people to gravitate to where the food and drinks are. You could also string up some lighting along the perimeter and it would look very inviting.

Do you get a lot of sun on the deck? It looks shady so I would think a new round table with chairs for seating would be fine and then move your grill & the pub table out there. You can get some pretty nice chairs that swivel and rock. I have also seen some benches that double as storage for the cushions so that might be an option if there is room. That would keep cushion maintenance down for you when you aren't there.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Can you change the door so the entire opening can be open?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree that the room could use some softening. I think the table just blocks out the whole room and doesn't read come in and sit down.

I would use a soft couch and chair. Add a side table and a lamp or two. I 'd add a rug to ground the room and make it more comfy. It is a lovely home. Welcome to Gardenweb!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Another member updated her sunroom/ porch. It is larger than yours but shows what some simple things can do to make it look stunning. I adore her space!!! Take a look at the thread.sunroom/porch

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

From the dining room, It would be more inviting for guests to see a seating arrangement on the porch vs a dining table. On my screened in porch, I have a sofa (love to nap on the porch), 2 comfortable chairs, coffee table, garden stool and an indoor/outdoor rug to break up all the wood. Don't forget the accessories: pillows, candles,, light weight throw for chilly night). FYI: In the winter, I store the cushions inside the house and cover the faux wicker furniture ( less cleaning in the spring).

• Missy Benton
    9 years ago

I love screened porches! I agree that some comfortable outdoor lounge furniture would make your porch very inviting. Also, I recently added "drapes" to my porch in an attempt to soften and make it more inviting. The builder's built the wall too high and it has never felt right to me. I found the idea on Pinterest to use painter's drop cloths (~ $10 each) and metal conduit as rods with clip rings to attach the drapes! Very easy and cheap! The porch isn't perfect but it feels inviting and like an extension of our house in the warm months. I do take my cushions to the basement in the winter and I wash the drapes in bleach twice a year.

• justretired
    9 years ago

Our screen porch is 12x16 and includes a four piece wicker set and small round table with 2 chairs. Also a repurposed dresser with a tv on it. We spend all summer out there and just love it! I agree that the table blocks the entrance and would be better placed on the deck. Screen porches are wonderful places to spend the spring, summer and fall. Please let us know what you decide.

mbntn74: What is that on your floor? It looks great. We are looking for an alternative to the treated wood floor we have currently.

• Missy Benton
    9 years ago

justretired-It is wood looking porcelain tile. Best thing we've done out there. Zero maintenance besides hosing it off in the spring (our floor does have a drain in the middle of the room) and sweeping or vacuuming throughout the summer.