SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megwalsh_gw

inspiration needed for reviving my old garden

megwalsh
14 years ago

After 3 years in the PNW, I've returned to the bay area, to an old house I used to live in... and found the garden I planted and cared for so lovingly...woefully neglected. Seriously, would it have killed them to water once a week? All of the small plants are long gone, and the grass (which I'm working on replacing). The bones are there... a handsome lemon tree, a small brugmasia I planted now 12' tall, covered in blooms, a mallow in a 4" plastic pot now a giant sprawling buzzing mass, and the 9 rosebushes are there, but scrawny and in need of love. Regular water, food, and pruning will bring all of these around.

Its the (dappled) shade garden I can't figure out. Nothing is left... its dirt. Two large planter beds that run along the fence, and surround a gum tree and a walnut tree... my blank canvas. The house has windows that run that whole length, so I'd love something handsome. Ideas? Challenges to consider: I now have a beagle. I can put up a little fence, and she will (mostly) mind me, but something that isn't too rare or dainty or poisonous would be good. I'd like more of a mass planting than a collection of individual plants. Even a groundcover could work, although there is ample room for medium height plants. There is a fence that could be used (climbers).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My creativity is falling flat...

Comments (5)