SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Aberational Color or 'Old Eyes'?

bob_71
12 years ago

In the few short years that I have emphasized butterflies in my gardens and my photography, I have often been vexed by the "variations" in markings and coloration as I tried to identify the subjects. They look different when they are "fresh" versus after they become "worn", but then, so do we. The females are usually quite different in appearance than are the males. They vary in appearance geographically.

The below examples show another "aberration" which turned out to be one of my shortcomings known as "Old Eyes".

Recently in my garden, I caught sight of a Sulphur nectaring on a Buddleia. Sulphur sightings have been rare in my garden this year so I tried to get some shots of this one.

The first shot is from the left side and appears to be a nice fresh specimen of an Orange Sulphur (I think).

{{gwi:537237}}

The second view, from the right side, appears to be of an Orange Sulphur with the upper wing coloration reversed (upper wing markings and color repeated on front and back or perhaps flopped from front to back).

{{gwi:537238}}

After editing MANY additional shots from the right side, I finally realized what I was looking at.

{{gwi:537239}}

Many of my "unusual" sightings turn out to be very mundane when examined closely from a photo or specimen.

Thanks for taking a look!

Bob

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations