SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

Toyon?

gardenspuds
15 years ago

5 Pittosporum tenuifolium were recently planted in my yard to create a screen for privacy. My landscaper had recommended this- is it the large varieity that grows to tree size! I didn't realize how big they get, but they are planted in almost every yard in my neighborhood and now that I've gotten to see them in many different situations, I am not thrilled with them. Even the ones that are trimmed to 8', I don't care for. I'd like to replace with a native shrub that won't require a lot of care.

I was at a native plant nursery, and the woman working there was recommending Toyon as a replacement. I like how the shrub looked in the pot, but haven't seen them full grown in the ground.

I've searched the internet, but havent' had my specific questions answered. The biggest one is will they create lots of offspring and become invasive? Our yard is small with a hill behind us and a neighbor up top with no fence, so I don't want to invade his yard with an invasive shrub. The shrubs would be planted on a hill with trees and lots of Vinca ground cover. It's difficult to get up there and pull out the blackberry and to trim the Vinca, so I don't want to add to more work.

Also, do the berries make a real mess, or are they a harder type berry that aren't much of a bother?

Thanks.

Barbara

Comments (14)