SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Tree recommendation for front yard re-do

jenn
14 years ago

We're planning to replace the massive Mimosa tree in our front yard with a less messy shade tree (see "Front yard re-do"). The tree will be situated near the corner of a courtyard patio to provide shade from afternoon sun. The Mimosa is a beautiful shade tree, but OH MY GOSH is it messy!!! The beautiful pink blossoms turn beige, then fall and blanket the ENTIRE front yard. Seeds fall EVERYWHERE and germinate even in neighbors' yards. The leaves are nice though, as I use them for mulch or compost.

I'm considering a large Crepe Myrtle, one that is mildew-resistent and large enough to shade the patio. I love the CM trees for their beautiful bark and blossoms, but I wonder if it may be a bit too messy to grow near a patio.

We're looking for suggestions for trees that meet the following criteria:

- Heat and drought-tolerant (summers can reach 100 F)

- Disease resistant (Crepe Myrtles with Native American names are reportedly mildew-free)

- Large-enough canopy for afternoon shade

- Minimal clean-up (some leaf drop is OK -- I use it for mulch or put it in the compost pile -- but minimal blossom messiness preferred)

- Non-destructive roots

- Doesn't drop seeds that sprout everywhere

- Compatible with a drought-resistant native garden in front of a Spanish-style home.

We also love the Chinese Pistache for its beautiful fall color. Looking for a tree of similar size to meet the above criteria.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (6)