SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

A Not-Business: your thoughts and suggestions, please.

merricat
17 years ago

Hello, again;

I'd like to borrow your formidable imaginations, if I may. Just for a little while, and I promise to keep it on a high shelf where the cats can't knock it over. ;-)

After over 50 requests from neighbors and friends re: the Heirloom Tomatoes I grow, I'm thinking of "semi-selling" them next year.

Usually I just give them away, and people often are kind enough to return the empty pots. Someone suggested that I figure out how much one costs (really it's mostly pot-cost and a little dirt....so it's a buck or two, I'd say), and officially "charge" for my tomatoes. So people don't have to pay $5-$7 a plant at a greenhouse, and I can afford to keep growing these nifty little treasures. It's sort of a way to support my habit.

I feel very wierd about even charging a dollar: to me, plants are something to give away and trade. On the one hand, I get a lot of pleasure sharing my plants, and get a huge kick out of introducing people to Heirlooms...but on the OTHER paw, they do end up costing me quite a bit. Hmmm....

Ok, a two-part question:

First, do you think it's against The Spirit of Fair Gardening to do a charge-for-materials "sale" of tomatoes? I use quotes because I refuse to greenhouse for profit. When gardening becomes a JOB, I quit. That's why I don't want to put up signs or anything: that would make me more of a commercial-grower type, and I DON'T want that. If word gets around that I'm a tomato-seller with very low prices, then I'm going to get people wanting a lot of stuff and it suddenly turns into a job. NO THANKS!

And second, IF SO, then what the heck would you CALL it? It's very cheap here to have little notes put in mailboxes at the P.O. (small town), so if I were to do any "advertising" that would be it (and word-of-mouth, of course). It would be nice to have a name, but all I can come up with is "The Hot Tomater" ("Merri's 'Maters?"). This is why I'd like to borrow your imaginations. I think I left mine in my other suit....

Your thoughts and input, please? I'm more confused than usual, and I'd like to hear what you think.

Love,

Merri

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz