SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

Your thoughts/opinions, please

6 years ago

After 65 years in the plant growing/garden design business I am stumped. Presently I oversee a large Community garden which was relocated last winter due to a construction project. All is new including the soil placed into the raised box gardens just before spring planting. Many tomato varieties have been planted by owners in these boxes and all are thriving...except mine which I had to discard with a serious case of Bacterial wilt. (Yes, I ran the stem in water test to check and it turned very cloudy. No doubt of the problem.) I know it was not in the seeds because I raise seedlings for 10 friends every year and their plants are thriving. I have one type of each tomato I lost to wilt thriving in pots on my patio.

Lingering in the back of my mind is the following thought. Organic me decided to dry banana skins this year, reduce them to powder and plant it at the base of my tomatoes in my box garden for additional potassium. This technique is well known and highly touted. With a bit of research I have discovered that bananas are infected with the same Ralstonia solanacearum bacteria known as Banana bacterial wilt. Now I am wondering...did the banana skins I used carry the bacterial wilt on them which infected my box garden tomato plants? It seems in the realm of possibility.

Comments (19)