SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Your thoughts on bumping out the hutch cabinet please

wi-sailorgirl
11 years ago

Our plan was to do a small remodel of the kitchen, with new uppers to the ceiling and refacing the lowers as well as retrofitting a couple of lower cabinets for drawers. We just got the quote from our cabinet maker and with the time he would have to put into retrofitting the existing cabinets, the cost of completely new base cabinets is basically just materials. The new cabinets will be much better quality than the existing ones. In other words, it makes sense to do the whole enchilada.

The existing layout works fine for us and with a few modifications for drawers instead of doors, and upper cabinets to the ceiling, we don't plan on changing a lot (layout-wise). I am, however, a litte troubled by the fact that it is impossible to take the hutch to the ceiling because of the beam that runs above it. I was thinking that doing something to make it look a little more furniture-like would have that make more sense.

I was considering bumping out the base cabinets and counter by a few inches and doing a flush furniture-style toekick around the hutch area. The rest of the toekick will be your standard recessed variety and the cabinets will be full overlay.

Here is an overall shot of our kitchen. It's a bit wonky because the photographer took it with a fisheye lens but it gives you a good overview of the space. The hutch is on the end (on the left).

This is a more realistic view of the hutch (bottom cupboard will become drawers)

Here are a couple examples of the kind of thing I'm considering:

Traditional Kitchen design by Toronto Interior Designer Jane Lockhart Interior Design

Traditional Kitchen design by Minneapolis Architect Alexander Design Group, Inc.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. I'm hoping to finish up the details of things ASAP so we can get this show on the road and I won't have a kitchen renovation interfering with gardening season!

Comments (2)