SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Need to re-learn gardening

pbrisjar
15 years ago

Back when I lived in Olympia, WA I learned a lot about gardening and really got into it. I was spoiled there as I had easy access to master gardeners, flower growers at the farmer's market and an amazing nursery a short drive away.

Unfortunately I had to leave that gorgeous home and all my beautiful plants. I am now settled again but in a vastly different climate / region. I want to start planting again but I'm rather flummoxed by the climate differences. The farmer's markets around here don't sell plants at all and I have yet to see anything beyond the Big Box stores that even remotely resembles a nursery.

Sunset maps says I'm in zone 14. "Standard" zone is zone 9. We live on a hillside overlooking the delta so we get a LOT of wind in spring and into summer. Days are warm to hot with rather chilly nights. We do get light frost in the winter but it never sticks around.

Big thing right now is to plant a flower garden. I LOVE color and lots of it - primarily pinks and purples. Dahlias, fuchsias, roses, bleeding hearts, lavender and pansies are probably my favorite flowers. We have Spanish lavender planted in our front yard that is doing reasonably well along with some ground cover/creeping red roses.

Area for the flower garden is against the fence so is somewhat protected from the winds. It's also mixed lighting.

Help? Know of any good nurseries in Contra Costa county?

Comments (8)