SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfkavanagh

Citrus as part of multi-shrub hedge?

rfkavanagh
11 years ago

I'm just about to close escrow and will have a garden for the first time in my adult life, and my brain is on fire with all the possibilities and potential pitfalls of getting it in order!

The back yard has a ~30ft side wall and a rear wall with a gate. Haven't fully decided what to do with the back wall yet (grow another tall hedge or go with vines), but for the side wall I'm envisioning a mix of various hedge plants to provide variety and different colors (probably some mix of podocarpus, photinia (don't hate me!), privet or ligustrum and maybe a couple of others I haven't thought of yet). Essentially, I'm looking for fast growers to get a privacy screen going sooner rather than later (isn't everyone), but I also really like the idea of including citrus trees in the mix and benefiting from the smell/fruit.

So, my question is how well citrus trees would blend and grow with the more traditional hedges noted above. Since they grow more slowly, would they get overrun or hidden? How well would they work privacy-wise? And how close could I plant them to the others for an unbroken wall of greenery?

I'm sure these are pretty basic questions, but I'm a little lost in all the different thoughts and possibilities - hoping someone can help guide me a little!

Thanks in advance... :)

Comments (4)