SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

My Lot and Native Barrier-Shrub/Hedge Question

HFK123
19 years ago

Hi Folks,

Here's a picture of my 1.3 acre cul-de-sac lot, as it looked a month or so ago. I'm new here in the forums, and I look forward to hearing your ideas about just what I should do with the lot.

I definitely want to keep it in a natural state: my neighbors have cleared much of the land around their oaks, and have made it park-like. I am not interested in that approach, particularly in the back of the lot.

One of the first things I'd like to do (I should be closing on the house in March '05) involves placing some sort of shrub around my lot, in lieu of a fence. I'd like it to be dense enough so that it's difficult, if not impossible, for a human to penetrate it, perhaps 6-8' tall. I don't want to have to baby it and tend to it constantly: A fellow at an OKC Nursery suggested Greenbriar, but I know nothing about it....

I suppose that it doesn't have to be complety impenatrable by humanity... I'd like to enhance the privacy of the lot, both in the sense of securing it against folks walking through it in back, and shielding the neighboring houses from view while looking out from the house. Perhaps securing it against tresspass is the toughest part of that: I suppose I could plant some cedars on the border of the property if I just wanted to block adjacent lots from view...

Anyway, I appreciate any ideas/suggestions that you might have.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (6)