SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agoldenbee

Need help with type of privacy shrub/tree to go with...

agoldenbee
11 years ago

So I'm wanting to look at putting up some privacy shrubs/trees in the backyard. We have a 'normal' height wall but I want more privacy as the wall borders a street.

All I really want is a nice, green looking privacy wall without too much headache - yeah I know, get in line.

I've attached a picture of the front and back of the wall as it curves (where Oaks provide shade at times of the day).

Conditions:

1) The ground is sloping upwards (shouldn't matter?)
2) The ground is covered in ivy (shouldn't matter?)
3) Area doesn't always have full sun
4) We have morning frost during winter

I've had a couple guys come out and one suggested going with Texas Privet (I think it might also be called Wax Leaf Privet?) due to the conditions above.

He said it would deal better with the frost and doesn't need full sun. Two others he suggested were Carolina Cherry hedge and Ligustrum.

My problem (and concern) is that I don't know one shrub from another and which is my best option. I try to Google these but I'm unable to get a good picture for my issues.

Concerns:

1) Is the Texas Privet (or the two others) very invasive? I know they all grow fast but I suppose I want that for a hedge...
2) We have high winds via the Santa Ana's and with the uncovered pool, I don't want leaves and flower petals all over the place - Do any of these shed too much?
3) I've read the Privet has flowers that attract a number of bees but given where these will be placed, should that be a concern?

He estimate it would take 37 15-gallon plants to cover this wall.

Any other trees or shrubs I might want to consider for the Los Angeles area?

Comments (7)