SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwickerlee

Need Suggestions for Privacy Hedge/Trees/Shrubs Eastern NC

jwickerlee
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Live in Zone 8, Coastal NC. Need to plant shrubs/trees that will reach at least 20 feet in height and up to 30 feet, but depth is somewhat limited (probably 6 feet deep) and 25 - 30 feet wide. A very tall hickory tree partially covers the area with a high branch that shades the area a good deal. Shaded in the morning, but gets a fair amount of afternoon sun. Trees/shrubs would need to be planted in front of an 8 foot cinder block wall. Wish to screen from neighbors who have a second floor deck that mimics our deck and we can hear each other's conversations and see each other without any privacy. We currently have two cherry laurels planted in part of the area that are about 10 feet tall, but have been very slow growing (we've been here 5 years) and I do not think give us the type of privacy we want. Was looking at hollies, but worry if we have the depth for a holly. Someone recommended podocarpus, ligustrum, bamboo (heard this can get out of hand), wax myrtle and little gem magnolias. I read that ligustrum and wax myrtles don't generally grow more than 15 feet. Please help. I've been researching for weeks and can't get a straight answer. Thank you!

Comments (13)