SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynne3450_gw

I think I killed a monarch caterpillar

lynne3450
10 years ago

I'm hating myself right now.

We planted two milkweed plants in our Los Angeles native California garden a couple of months ago (a narrow leaf milkweed and I forget the other-- it looks very different) with the express purpose of HELPING the suffering monarch population.

The narrow leaf started off in its first several weeks with a couple of small infestations of aphids. I used the "squish 'em" method to get rid of them. Every week or two I check out the plant to make sure the nasty aphids haven't returned. This morning, I saw what I thought was an aphid so I grabbed it away from the milkweed.

Lo and behold, it was not at all an aphid but definitely a monarch caterpillar (a tiny one!). It dropped out of my fingers into the dirt near the plant and I tried to gently lift him back to the leaves of the plant, but he remained curled up and fell back down.

I'm about to go check and see if he moved away from where I left him or if he's definitely dead. Sounds stupid, but do caterpillars "play dead" like possums do? I hope so.

I feel like sh.t about this! Hope the caterpillars continue to find my plant....

Comments (4)