SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Hobby Greenhouse Suggestions for S. Calif.

I posted this over on the Greenhouse Forum, but wanted to post on the California Gardening Forum, since our greenhouse requirements are sort of different for the most part, than other colder parts of the country.

I'm thinking of purchasing a greenhouse so I have a place to do some propagating and other gardening, as well as seed starting. Since I live in a part of the country that doesn't have to deal with freezing temps, but actually the other side of the weather spectrum - warm to hot summers (90's to occasional 100's for short periods). So, I know I'm going to need good venting and a sunscreen. The location will also be fairly shady as well, under the canopy of some very large Emperess trees, so the later afternoon sun will not be a factor. It will also get shading on the south side from a large fan palm. So, mainly only east sun. Because of all the surrounding plant materials, it will also be protected from prevailing winds, but somewhat exposed to eastern Santa Anas. I may try planting a row of Podocarpus along the eastern side of the greenhouse for sun and wind protections. I'm looking at Snap and Grow, as they seem to be very reasonably priced, and folks seem to have a good opinion of them. Hoping I can squeeze in an 8 x 12. If not, then 6 x 12. Wondering what other manufacturers would be worth looking at. Also wondering if I can put a Snap and Grow greenhouse on a DG base instead of pouring concrete? Really don't want to go to the hassle of a concrete floor, and would prefer the porousity of DG. I can lay down landscape cloth, sand then DG and then treat the DG with a hardener. Also looked at the Sunglo 8x10 or 8x12, but it is 3 times the price and may have features I probably don't need (although it is a gorgeous greenhouse!). Anyone in S. Calif. with some good greenhouse recommendations for me??

Patty S.

Comments (17)