SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
habitat_gardener

did it again -- couldn't resist Black from Tula

habitat_gardener
17 years ago

Last year, I told myself not to do it again, but I did anyway. I succumbed to the lure of tomato transplants in the nurseries too early (this is northern California!). I could've resisted if only I hadn't seen Black from Tula, and once I got that one I had to get Black Krim as well. And basil!

But I did limit myself to 3 plants, since I have 3 walls-o-water, which have been toasty warm in the week since I planted.

The past couple years, I knowingly planted tomatoes too early, partly because the nurseries were selling transplants of varieties I'd been dreaming about all winter, but also because I couldn't wait to start spring planting! So last year, when we had rainstorms and cold weather in March and April, I was out there in the wind and rain, readjusting the bubble-wrap greenhouses for each one and the big sheets of plastic covering the whole thing.

I also kept records on what I planted when, and how many tomatoes I picked when. My first tomato was a Galinas on June 25 (planted April 9), but 5 days later I picked a Sun Sugar (planted April 27). In general, I got tomatoes a week or two earlier if I planted in late March to early April vs. late April to early May. From mid July to at least the end of October I had more tomatoes than I could eat.

However! Another person at the community garden also planted too early but used walls-o-water, and had tomatoes a month earlier than I did. So I'm hoping...

Comments (12)