SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Need advice on West Facing Balcony in the Bay Area

paulsiu
11 years ago

I like some help in helping my mom setup a balcony garden. My mom moved from the Northeast to the one hour out from the bay area. She used to live on a single house with a sizable yard, but she now live in a condo with only a balcony. Here's a picture of a similar model.

{{gwi:509726}}

Here are some stats and HOA restrictions:
* Plant Hardiness zone is 9a to 10a.
* Balcony is roughy 8 ft x 20 ft. This is only a guess.
* Balcony has a roof but is otherwise opened.
* Balcony faces West. I do not know what this translate to in terms of hours of sunlight.
* HOA only allow containers with saucer to prevent water drips. No drip system is allowed. You can only hand water the plants.
* Each plant cannot be over 12 feet in height (I assume this does not include container) and over 24 feet in diameter.

Based on these restriction, how would you select plants? My mom wll be there to water the plant every day, but less maintenance would be better. She would probably like something that flowers, is pretty, and attracts wild life. She does not plan to grow food. She also has a cat, which she does not plan to let out the balcony unless she is there, but perhaps plants that are not poisonous if eaten may be a good idea. She prefer perennials that are not overly fussy.

My thoughts are to use some California natives, but since it's so dry there the plant may have a really long tap root that may be impractical for containers. I am thinking some Succulent plants, but what else?

Comments (5)