SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
postum

Need general advice on fruit trees

postum
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been gardening for many years and have never had a problem with my own fruit trees. I recently volunteered to be the keeper of our small community orchard (approximately 30 trees; apples, pears, plums, a few citrus.) The trees have had little attention since their planting 5 years ago, and while some are okay, most are very small for their age and the citrus are definitely in trouble. I can only use organic fertilizers and amendments.

It is an absolutely beautiful site and could be a showstopper if I can get the trees to grow :-)

They are planted on a steep hillside with very clay soil, ph probably around 7. They don't get any regular water right now and are knee deep in weeds. We are just south of San Francisco - little fog, and the trees are protected from summer winds (by the hill.)

Any and all advice is welcome, as well as link to other websites! but I do have some specific questions:

1. What would be the best mulch to use around these trees? Currently there is some remnants of bark mulch, but not much.

2. What would be the best way to acidify the soil around the citrus trees? They are small and I think I am going to have to dig them up to amend the soil. I could use peat moss (but though organic it is not really a "green" product.) I've heard that iron shaving can be used, but I wouldn't know where to get them....anything else?

3. I'm not able to install an irrigation system (lack of funds) and plan on only watering over the summer (as I have done with my own trees.) However, my yard trees do get the extra drink now and then when I'm cleaning out my pond, watering other plants etc., so I'm not sure about this.

4. Any fertilizer suggestions? I just use worm compost tea on my own trees, but that is not feasible for these. When do I need to fertilize, and what are the best (and cheapest) organic choices? (This is zero budget - expenses will come out of my own pocket.)

5. As the trees seem pretty feeble I'm not planning on doing much pruning (aside from removing suckers.) Does this sound right?

6. A neighbor suggested I dig "deeper wells" around the trees. Is this a good idea?

Whew - I know I'm asking a lot of you folks! I'm really hoping I can turn this orchard around. I'll try to get some photos posted.

I'm looking forward to your response!

Comments (8)