SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Winter Sowing Biennials.

tiffy_z5_6_can
13 years ago

I have to admit that the majority of seeds I've winter sown have been perennials. A small minority have been annuals and an even smaller number have been biennials.

Even though the biennials have been sown the least, they have made an impact on my gardening practices and since beginning to winter sow them, some, such as Dame's Rocket (Hesperis), Common Bugloss (Anchusa), and Foxglove (Digitalis), have made permanent homes of my gardens. They reseed themselves throughout and fill holes saving me a bit of work. :O) Definite bonus for a busy gardener working 40+ hours a week with a family on top! (Oh, and yes, there are perennial Foxgloves but they are not as striking as the biennials.)

Three years ago I winter sowed Verbascum Giganticum and this year it finally flowered with a stalk growing to 9 feet. I really enjoyed it and am crossing my fingers that it may come back since another florette of leaves has formed at the base.

Last year (2009) I winter sowed Verbascum Olympicum. I realized this year that although the basal leaves were HUGE - 10" wide and 2+feet long which means it's covering 4 feet of garden space - it was going to wait for a third year to show-off as did the G., but with their beautiful silvery leaves that was no issue. This one is reported to grow up to 8 feet in height and flower like a candelabra and there are 7 placed around the property. I've posted a link so you can see this statuesque plant. (Note: That is NOT my garden, although it would be nice...)

This year I will be trying out a much shorter Biennial, Rosularia Sempervivoides, a small growing (7 to 20cm) Sedum-like plant which in it's second year blooms a scarlet red.

Yep, I think I'll try something short. :O)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:448293}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus