SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

To winter sow or not to winter sow...

vajeff
12 years ago

We've been having a fairly mild winter in SE Virginia with several days in the 60s. Once in a while we'll get a frost or freeze at night. My more tender/tropical perennials have finally been hit, and the peppers in the hoop house (it got into the 20's one night) bit the dust.

I've been reading about how others are having issues with seeds sprouting too soon, and it has me worried. This will be my first year at giving winter sowing a serious try, and I really don't want to lose everything before spring hits. I'm afraid that if I sow now we'll get a warm spell and seeds will start germinating before a hard freeze hits. On the other hand, I'm also worried that if I don't start sowing now some seeds may not get the proper cold period and refuse to germinate. A few containers have already been sown, but those were for seeds I know will take quite a while before I see anything (clematis, roses).

What does everyone think, when would it be a good time to winter sow here? Should I put them on the north side of the house to make sure the sun doesn't warm them up too much?

Comments (9)

Sponsored